36.

so she listened as Dinah updated her on all their wedding plans, and she too was counting down the days till the two of them got hitched.

......

Later that night as the crowds wound down she reached for her phone to call when she saw Lauren had texted her. Her eyes widened, lighting up with anticipation. With hopeful fingers, she slid open the message.

I can't stop thinking about you.

Her heart thrummed hard against her chest as she savoured the words, each one like decadent chocolate. She clutched the phone to her chest, as if that simple act would bring Lauren closer. She walked into the black room, needing a moment alone with the girl's text. She closed the door behind her, leaned against it and stared like a love-struck idiot at the screen again, running her fingertip across Lauren's message.

She cycled through her options. She could pretend she never saw it. She could delete it. She could keep on ignoring her. But every thought of that felt like thorns twisting in her gut. She'd been in a funk since she'd left Los Angeles. A real ball of piss. She'd slept badly, she'd been sullen when she went for her morning run, and she could barely focus on the book she'd been reading at bedtime. Her thoughts always careened back to Lauren. A reply might unwind some of the tension knitting its way through her body.

Though she knew the risks, she became convinced with each passing second that answering her message wasn't dangerous. It was simply answering a message. Sometimes a cigar was just a cigar.

The very least she could do was write back.

Would love to know what you're thinking about. . .

Only later did she remember she'd forgotten all about Dinah's request for an introduction. So much the better. Another reason to be back in touch.

By the way, my best friend's fiancé wants to talk to you about working together. I'll send you her info. Though I still want to know what you're thinking about.

She paused, her thumbs hovering over her smartphone. then, she added, just so there'd be no misunderstanding, about her intent - xoxo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this one is short sorry :/

yall, i changed the name of the book aswell to the original, because in the next chapter i decided... well, you will see 😂