13

the door slams behind devyn as she storms into the house, causing the picture frames to rattle on the walls.

george quietly moves behind her, trying really not to make a sound at all, like a little kid who got in trouble with his mum.

dev sets her coat down, calming herself down. am i overreacting?

george is the first to speak up, deciding to apologize even though he didn't really know what he had done wrong, he hadn't been explicitly rude to connor or anything.

"dev, i- i'm sorry?"

she looks up at him through her lashes, pressing her palms into the kitchen table.

"are you really or are you just saying that? what are you sorry for?"

okay, major mum vibes right now.

"listen- i don't know why you're so mad at me, it's not like i was being a dick to his face. you and i talk shit about people all the time i don't get why this is so different."

dev sighs and runs a hand through her hair before sitting down.

"because, george, he's my friend. my only friend at work actually, and he was telling me how he noticed you were being a little hostile towards him. it's been really stressful starting a new job and everything, but he's been so helpful in showing me the ropes. i know we don't get to spend much time together anymore but i wish you would understand."

that felt like a slap to his face. george pulls out the chair next to her, sitting down slowly. he grabs her hands from her forehead and holds them in his.

"i'm sorry. genuinely, i'm sorry for being immature.  i've been spending too much time with sapnap," george chuckles before trying to be serious again. "i didn't know you were so stressed about work, devyn. i wish you would've reached out to me, i could've helped you."

"you and i both know we're horrible at communicating our feelings."

true, george thinks. i've got a lot of feelings i could never tell you.

she retracts her hands from his, the warmth leaving george's hands instantly as she stands. he misses the feeling of his hands in hers but attempts to hide it by looking down and shoving his hands into his pockets. 

"i'm tired, george. i'm going to take a nap. wake me up for dinner?" 

he smiles softly, nodding. "sure. i'm going to go home first."

"okay. i'll see you soon."

after making his way home, george sits down at his computer, calling sapnap and dream on discord. they pick up right away.

"hi georgie! how was your little party with devynnn?" sapnap drawls.

dream wheezes in the background, "yeah did you hit?"

"DREAM- what the hell!" george scoffs, audibly disgusted by the way he talked about his best friend.

sapnap and dream crack up, causing george to cross his arms and lean back in his chair. 

"stop. seriously, or i'm leaving."

"fine. but how was it, going to a party as a date for your best friend that you're in love with."

"way to rub it in, sapnap," dream stifles. 

"i think she's still mad at me."

"what do you mean still?" 

"well, i kind of got jealous when she introduced me to her co-worker and then i made fun of him and she got mad at me. she scolded me when i got home, i felt like i got in trouble with my mum."

"ew, you're like in love with her why would you compare her to your mom."

"sapnap, shut up. you know what i mean."

"sure, weirdo."

silence falls between the three, each wary of their next words. dream is the first to speak.

"george, just tell her. if you're to act like this in front of every guy that she speaks to, she's going to think it's sus."

"it's not that simple. i can't ruin like 10 years of friendship because i have a crush on her, that's not fair to me or her."

"you don't just have a crush on her, you're like in love?"

"well, i don't know about that. i don't know if i love her love her or if i just love her because she's my best friend. like a platonic love."

dream sympathizes with george, "well i hope you figure it out george. you're the most deserving of anyone i know, to have someone match the capacity of love that you have for them. and i think devyn does, so maybe that green light is much closer than you think. just get in a boat and row."

"what the fuck are you talking about?" sapnap asks, interrupting his heartfelt encouragement.

"oh shut up, nick."

bloom is saying shit
SORRY IT'S A FILLER I'M SORRY I'VE BEEN BUSY YO

5K 5K 5K 5K 5K 5K 5K 5K 5K ?????????? THANK YOU ( ˘ ³˘)♥︎