20 | Liability

V E R A

━━━━━━━━━━

Pushing myself off of Damien's chest, I sat up and brought my legs to my chest. As he asked me to open up to him, I started to feel stuck. Sharing my feelings hadn't been one of my strong suits and it sure as hell wasn't going to start being one now.

"Can I shower first? You can join," I asked, getting off of the bed.

"Vera," He voiced, knowing that I was trying to avoid having a conversation with him.

"Please? We'll talk after, I promise," I begged, giving him a pleading look.

Sighing, he got up from the bed and pulled me into him, skin to skin. Taking one hand, he pushed a strand of hair out of my face and gave me an inquisitive look.

"You can be so difficult sometimes," He let out a short laugh, kissing my forehead.

Playfully slapping his chest, I pulled away and made my way into the bathroom. Turning on the shower, I waited until the temperature grew hot and stepped in, Damien following suit soon after.

"Jesus, Vera, this water's fucking hot," He confessed, switching places with me and adjusting to the water drops. 

"A masochist in their natural habitat," I laughed, bringing my body to his and fully submerging myself under the showerhead, reminiscing of the time I had drops of wax poured down my body.

Grabbing the bottle of shampoo, Damien poured some into his hand and turned me around so that my back was facing him. As his hands met my scalp, I closed my eyes as he started to massage the soap through my hair. Stepping back under the water, I watched as the bubbles ran down my body, feeling a hand trace down my spine.

Turning around, I looked up to Damien to which I noticed he had a muddled expression as he ran shampoo through his own hair, acting as if he was in a daze.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked, pressing my hands against his chest.

"Nothing," He quickly retorted, giving me a half smile before bringing himself under the water and washing the soap from his hair.

Deciding to not push for a better answer, I silently frowned and started to overthink about what the man had going on in his head. Does he regret this?

While I was well aware that we had a complicated, quote on quote, relationship and hadn't discussed anything besides spending last night together, it only drove me more curious to figure out what exactly was going on with him—with us.

After all, as he stood beside me in my shower, this had already crossed the line of us being together for only one night.

Cleaning the rest of my body and rinsing off the suds from my skin, I stepped out of the shower to give Damien some space and let him finish up. Wrapping a towel around me, I made my way to my dresser and pulled out a shirt and some sweatpants. Quickly drying my body and the excess water from my hair, I slipped into the clothes.

Picking up Damien's clothes off of the ground, I then noticed the short pile of his folded ones I had been wearing earlier. After throwing the clothes he had been wearing over one of the bar stools, I picked up his shirt and sweatpants and spread them out over the bed for him to change into.

Making my way to the kitchen, I decided to microwave some frozen breakfast sandwiches as that was all I had the capacity to make at the moment. Hearing the shower shut off, Damien came out from the bathroom, a towel sitting on his waist.