A Wedding on the Horizon

"Not long until your wedding, Your Majesty!" a young lady in the courtyard of Arendelle Castle called in the direction of Queen Anna.

"Thank you!" Anna said in a nervous reply, managing a little wave.

In Arendelle, the sun had risen on a calm summer morning, the sunshine reflecting off of the fjord. Arendelle castle, adorned with it's icy decorations, stood proudly next to the harbour. The quaint town, with all of its shops and houses, lied a short walk away from it.

At the castle, the gates were wide open and the people were enjoying the courtyard. Children were happily playing in the fountains, their parents keeping a watchful eye on them. Queen Anna was walking with her handler Kai, fretfully going over last minute wedding preparations.

"Is the chapel ready? Have all the guests replied to their invites? What about the food? Do we have enough salad plates?" Anna asked while Kai read over a huge list. Olaf, a magical animated snowman created by Anna's older sister Elsa, was pretending to glance over the list too.

"It's all in hand, your Majesty," he assured her. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must just go and check on the kitchen."

"Very well," Anna nodded as Kai went on his way.

"Have you had enough practice at being a page, Olaf?" Anna asked.

"Oh sure, I've been reading a lot of books!" Olaf replied with a huge grin.

Anna laughed at him nervously.

"Relax! Everything's fine!" called Kristoff, walking up to Anna with his reindeer Sven. With him was Ryder, a young Northuldra man who Kristoff had become firm friends with.

"Oh, hi honey!" said Anna, giving Kristoff a peck on the cheek. "I know I shouldn't worry, I just want everything to be perfect!"

Anna turned to Ryder. "How are you finding Arendelle, Ryder? How does it compare to Northuldra?" Anna asked him with a smile.

"It's...different!" Ryder replied with his hand on the back of his head. "Everyone is very friendly but there's so much I'm not used to! At least I have Sven here to remind me of home!" he smiled as he gave Sven a Pat on the head.

"Have you written your best man speech?" Anna asked.

"Don't worry, it's all ready!" he replied.

Sven looked up at Kristoff and grunted discontentedly.

"Aw, you okay there buddy? Did you want to be my best man?" Kristoff asked jokingly. He moved over to Sven and started to do his goofy voice.

"Yes, we're best buddies, I should be your best man!" Kristoff said in Sven's voice before standing up.

"Don't worry Sven, you've got a very important job to do!" Kristoff said to Sven as he winked and pointed at him with both fingers.

Sven grunted again. "Hey, you're hungry aren't you?" Kristoff asked him. Sven grinned and nodded. "Alright buddy, let's find you some carrots!"

With that, Kristoff and Ryder waved goodbye to Anna, leaving her to continue going over the wedding preparations.

Later that evening, Anna sat at the head of a long dining table. Kristoff was at her side, with Ryder sat on the other. The men devoured their food, while Anna sighed and prodded hers around her plate. Kristoff looked up at her with his mouth full.

"What's up?" Kristoff asked Anna while leaning over his plate.

Anna sighed again and tried to smile. She glanced over at Kristoff. "It's just that...I don't know if I deserve this wedding..." Anna admitted as she looked to the side.

Kristoff swallowed his food, put his cutlery down, and stood next to Anna. He squatted down and put his arm around her.

"Hey, come on, if anyone deserves a big day, it's you!" Kristoff assured her. "You've been through so much!"

Anna smiled a little and put her hand on Kristoff's. Just then Kai entered the room.

"Excuse me, Your Majesty," he began to say with his hands behind his back, "there is a pressing matter to attend to–"

Kristoff held his other hand up to Kai. "Could you give us five minutes?" he interrupted.

Kai looked down and saw Kristoff consoling Anna. "Of course," he said before bowing. He then turned and left.

"As I was saying," Kristoff continued, "you've been through so much! You had such a tough childhood, being kept away from your sister. Then you lost your parents and found out about your sister's ice powers at her coronation. After that you saved your sister after she went ice crazy and froze the kingdom. You survived a frozen heart, saved your sister, and even punched the evil Prince Hans in the face! And let's not forget that you freed the forest of Northuldra!"

"Yeah, that was awesome! You got Earth Giants to destroy the dam that was keeping the forest trapped in mist! That was amazing!" Ryder added.

"That's right!" Kristoff agreed. "And since Elsa discovered she was the Fifth Spirit of nature and abdicated, you've done such a great job as queen!"

"I hope the people think that!" Anna gushed.

"Are you kidding?" Kristoff joked. "Everyone is so excited! This wedding isn't just for you and me, it's for everyone. Arendelle was nearly destroyed by a tidal wave when the dam burst, everyone's looking forward to having something to celebrate!"

"I guess," Anna giggled a little as she looked down. She then looked at Kristoff.

"But I worry about you too!" Anna smiled. "Being a Prince of Arendelle will be very different from your old life as an ice harvester!"

"I know! I know!" Kristoff nodded. "But you don't need to worry about that! I know what's expected of me. And anyway, I've sold my sled and Sven is taken care of. My ice harvesting days are behind me. Everything is in hand!"

Anna smiled and shook her head a little. "What would I do without you?" she whispered.

Kristoff gave Anna a kiss on the cheek, then went back to his seat.

"Think about the fun stuff!" Kristoff exclaimed. "Ryder and I have our party to look forward to!"

"That's right!" Ryder agreed.

"Party..." Anna said as she looked at the floor. "I do hope Elsa can make it to mine!"

"Don't worry, she'll be here!" Kristoff assured her. "When has your sister ever let you down?"

Anna smiled a little. "I know, I know," she said as she held her arm and looked to the side. "It's just that we haven't seen her for awhile."

"She's been busy!" Kristoff replied. "Who knows what magic she's been getting up to?"

"I guess..." Anna said. "I wonder what she's doing in Northuldra right now?"