An Interrogation

Far north of Arendelle, Freya was making her way up the coast. After spending hours searching for the Northuldra, she finally found their camp. She marched up to them with her fists clenched.

"It's her! Run!" a Northuldra man shouted.

There were screams, parents grabbed their children, and the Northuldra ran away from their camp. However, Freya only had eyes for one of them.

"You! Old hag! Stop!" Freya commanded as she raised her hand. A wall of fire appeared in front of Yelena, stopping her in her tracks. She turned to run the other way, but Freya made the fire surround her. She was trapped.

"What do you want with me?" Yelena asked Freya while narrowing her eyes.

"Information," Freya replied while smirking and breathing heavily, tired from tracking the Northuldra down. "What do you know about Ahtohallan?"

Yelena gulped and her eyes widened. "Ahtohallan is a magical river far north from here," she replied.

"What's so magical about it?" Freya scowled.

"It knows all," Yelena replied. "It contains all memories and the answers to the past."

Freya shook her head in confusion. "Memories? What memories? What are you talking about?" she asked.

"You will never understand," Yelena replied defiantly. "Only Elsa has the power to confront the memories in Ahtohallan. You have so much anger. You cannot face what the river knows!"

Freya rolled her eyes as she became frustrated by Yelena's answers. She tried a different line of questioning.

"But Elsa has been there?" she snarled at Yelena.

"Yes," Yelena replied, still trying to say as little as possible while the circle of fire burned around her.

"Has anyone else been there?" Freya asked.

Yelena shook her head. "No. Only Elsa can go there."

Freya had heard enough to reach a conclusion. "How do I get there?" she demanded to know.

"You can't!" Yelena boomed back. "It is protected by the spirits of nature. Elsa is the fifth spirit, only she can cross the Dark Sea to reach it. No one else can make it past."

"I'll be the judge of that!" Freya shouted as she raised her arms and made the flames around Yelena higher. She pointed her finger right in Yelena's face. "You tell me how I get there, or I will turn your sad little camp into cinders!"

Yelena relented. "You go as far north as you can, until you reach the coast. Then you must cross the Dark Sea. But beware, the spirits will stop you!" she warned.

Freya had the information she wanted. She extinguished the flames around Yelena.

"Thank you," Freya said insincerely. "Now I won't burn down your camp. Well, maybe a tent or two!"

Freya winked at Yelena then turned and started to walk north. She threw streams of fire at a couple of tents, causing them to be set ablaze. She then turned herself into a fireball and blazed away, heading towards the Dark Sea.

With Freya gone, the rest of the Northuldra emerged from the forest. They quickly got some buckets of water to extinguish the fires she had started.

Yelena snapped into action. "Get me a quill and some parchment!" she commanded. "We have to warn Elsa!"

The Northuldra scrambled through their supplies and soon found what they needed to write a note. Yelena summoned the wind spirit and the note was on its way to Elsa in Arendelle.

Freya made her way to the shore of the Dark Sea. She could see the waters raging in front of her, and she thought about how she was going to get across. After a while, an idea came into her head. Freya ran towards the sea as fast as she could, then jumped up and turned herself into a fireball, flying over the waves.

As she flew, she could see an island covered by a huge glacier. She knew she was nearly there, and all she needed to do was maintain the fireball for long enough.

Without warning, the Water Nokk jumped out of the Dark Sea, clattered into Freya, and sent her flying out of her fireball. She landed face first in the sea with an enormous splash. She quickly put her head above the water, drew breath, and screamed. Before she could realise what was happening, the Nokk flung her into the air again.

Meanwhile back in Arendelle, everyone was focused on looking for Freya, not knowing that she had gone north. The wind spirit brought the note from the Northuldra to Elsa. She grabbed it, then opened it and read it as quickly as she could.

Elsa's eyes opened wide as she moved her head backwards. "Freya has gone to Ahtohallan," Elsa read out loud to Anna. "I have to go there now!" she declared as she started to briskly walk towards the shore.

"Wait, isn't that too dangerous?" Anna asked, worriedly following her.

"If Freya gets to Ahtohallan then there's no telling what could happen," Elsa explained. "She could find the secret to her powers. That could mean anything. It may make her stronger, it might even destroy her. And that's if she crosses the Dark Sea. I have to stop her."

"Well, I guess I can't stop you going," Anna said sadly from experience.

Back in the Dark Sea, Freya was being helplessly thrown around by the Water Nokk. While she was underwater she could see its glowing blue eyes in the distance. As it galloped towards her, she could do nothing as it jumped on her and put its front hooves on her stomach. It kicked its hind legs and pushed Freya further and further down into the dark water. She was running out of breath.

Meanwhile in Arendelle, Elsa was preparing to head to Ahtohallan.

"Be careful, Elsa," Anna said gently, "I don't want to lose you."

Anna and Elsa embraced, then Elsa walked towards the shore. She summoned the Water Nokk.

Back in the Dark Sea, the Water Nokk stopped paying attention to Freya, looked upwards, then disappeared. Freya swam to the surface as quickly as she could and took a huge, deep breath. She didn't know what had just happened, but she knew that the Water Nokk was gone and that Ahtohallan was in her sights. As she gritted her teeth through the pain of being in the water, she swam the rest of the way there.

When Freya finally reached the coast of Ahtohallan, she was barely able to move. She clawed her way up the shingle beach, then rolled over and lay on her back with her arms outstretched, exhausted. Closing her eyes, she inhaled and exhaled rapidly until she got her breath back. She turned her head and looked up to see the giant glacier of Ahtohallan. Looking carefully, she could make out four diamonds, each containing a symbol of one of the four elements.

"A river of ice, I must be in the right place," Freya thought to herself. She rose to her feet then found a rock to sit on. As she rested herself and dried off, she noticed something about the glacier.

"Wait...four diamonds, four elements...and Elsa makes five. That's why Yelena calls her the fifth spirit. Of course! This must be where she gets her power!"

Freya got up, rubbed her hands together with glee, then breezed into Ahtohallan.