IX. YOU ARE THE BONES OF MY SPINE

Klaus took the two of us to a motel for the night, as I was so tired and worn out from the day that I had, in desperate need of sleep. I'd easily fallen asleep in the car, comforted by warmth that radiated, soft sound of music playing from the radio lulling me to sleep.

There was something that was always so
comforting to me about cars, and long drives, always falling into a peaceful slumber. I woke up to the sound of my door opening up, fluttering my eyes beneath the harsh, neon light of the motel, before Klaus moved into my view.

"Come on," He softly said, before I felt his arms slip beneath me, scooping me up and out of the car.

He only took a few more steps until we were inside of our room, and another few until he laid me down onto the bed, and I had momentarily relaxed, leaning my cheek into the soft pillow beneath my head, when I heard the sound of water running from the bathroom.

I opened up my eyes once more, sitting up on my elbow in curiosity. After a few more seconds, Klaus walked out of the bathroom with a small, white hand towel in his hand. "Let's get you cleaned up, love."

I sat up, throwing my legs over the edge of the bed, before he moved to help me out of my jacket. My eyes followed him, as he gently pushed my hair back, exposing my collarbone, and chest sticky and stained with dried blood. I drew in a sharp breath as he placed the warm wet cloth to my skin, our eyes meeting, and I'd never experienced something so intimate.

Every other moment that I'd ever had, that I thought was intimate, or full of depth and meaning could never compare to the simple act of Klaus meeting my gaze. Not any moment with Damon, nor the short time that I'd known Elijah, not even Stefan could compete. When he looked at me, he had me, completely.

There was a connection beyond words, beyond explanation. It was one that would have me praying, and begging that I could forget the things he'd done.

He knelt down to clean my arms, and behind him was a large mirror hanging from the wall, allowing me to see myself, along with him from his shoulders up, dirty blonde locks. My reflection stared back at me with an intensity in the eyes, and I wanted to ask the girl in the mirror what was wrong with her? How could she be there, with the man that killed her aunt?

Because it looked like she'd forgotten all about that, love pouring from her gaze. 

My eyes flickered away from the mirror, looking down at Klaus who wiped the blood from my wrist, traveling down to my hands. He took my right hand into his, running the wet cloth along my knuckles and again, he was so strangely nurturing.

Gazing down at our hands together, I was reminded of all of the monstrosities those hands of his had brought about, and then I thought of how they'd held onto mine in the night, when I was at my lowest, how they'd shoved away those who tried to hurt me. Those hands had protected me from the world, comforted and touched me with love, and they were the same hands that had taken away so much from me.

Greedy and giving.

"I was starting to remember." I spoke up, and I didn't know why. Klaus furrowed his brows, looking up at me, noticeably confused. "You compelled me to forget about you, but you also compelled me to be happy, and I was starting to remember you, because you made me happy.."

___________________________

I woke to the sound of someone's phone going off from somewhere in the room, but it wasn't enough to get me to move, until I heard Klaus pick up the call. "Stefan," He greeted, and I sat up suspiciously, wondering how it was that Stefan was calling Klaus.