XVIII. FOREVER...(is a long time)

I was up before the sun rose, and when it did, I was there to welcome it by pushing back my curtains, warm light pouring in. It illuminated my room, shone against my skin and I was happy. I was happy to be alive, to welcome another day. Leaning over the window seat, I unlatched the lock to my window before pushing it open. The cool autumn breeze swept through my room, leaves crunching and blowing in the distance.

I turned around to look out at the expanse of my room, and let out a heavy sigh, staring at the mess I'd made. Everything was turned over. My clothes were astray on the floor, along with my bedsheets. The drawers to my dresser were pulled out, as well as those of my desk and in the center of my room sat a large cardboard box, waiting to be filled. I wanted to purge myself of everything I no longer needed, of everything that brought back bad memories, things I no longer used.

I started with my closet, and pulled out all of my dresses one by one, tossing the older ones I'd had into the box, ones that I'd never wear again. The final dress I'd pulled out, I held out in front of me, and just looking at it tugged at my heart for a moment. It was the dress I wore for the Miss Mystic Pageant, the dress that I had stressed over, wondering what Damon would think of me in it, and I had never even gotten to dance with him.

I bit my lip, before shoving it into the box. I moved to pick up a shirt from the pile of clothes on the floor, finding that it was somehow still stained with blood and tossed it in the box, didn't know why I'd put it back in the first place.

I stopped when I reached my desk chair, where I'd placed Elijah's jacket, picking it up into my hands, reminded of the day that he'd given it to me.

It made me think of how safe I'd felt without him around, how safe I'd felt when he'd given it to me. His scent still lingered from it. I missed Elijah, missed his companionship.

A soft sigh escaped me, before I draped the jacket back over my desk chair.

I wasn't sure where the motivation had come from that morning, the desire to move on, to be better, but that was exactly what I wanted. And I knew I couldn't do it without a fresh start. I changed my sheets, made my bed, swept under it, before moving onto my bathroom. I was cleaning under the sink when there was a knock on my door that startled me, causing me to jerk up and bang my head.

"Ugh," I groaned, before sitting up. "come in!"

I heard the door open up, and I could instantly sense it was Elena. "Woah," She breathed out, as I stood up, and walked out to my room, finding her staring out in shock. "you should do Jeremy's room, too."

"Yeah, if I wasn't afraid of what I'd find." I commented, making her laugh. I definitely did not want to go through a teenage boy's room, especially not my teenage brother's room.

"Have you heard from Stefan or Damon today?"

My heart sank.

"Nope." I quickly said, moving past her to look through my dresser, as if to convince her I was too busy to talk. "Why? Is something...wrong?"

"Well, I was just at Ric's and they were being weird. They wouldn't even let me in." She pointed out, as I pulled out a top and folded it over again. So, she didn't know about Stefan and I's kiss?

"They just don't want you to get hurt, considering Alaric's not exactly in the right state of mind." I explained, turning around to face her as she let out a sigh.

"You're probably right..." She trailed off, and I could tell she was really worried.

"I could go stop by." I suggested, before I could think. Seeing Stefan would be...interesting, but if it would give my sister some piece of mind, I would do it. Maybe I could finally start being a good sister, the sister that Elena needed.