XXV. RUNNING

THIRD PERSON POV

LYSSA STIRRED in bed all night.

She woke up sometime later to the sound of rainfall. Her pillow, still wet with tears, reminded her of what happened and she wanted to sob all over agin.

To her side, Klaus was gone.

She reached out for the lamp beside her, and flicked on the light, only to find herself alone.

Hastily, Lyssa got out of bed and grabbed the silk robe that hung on her closet door, before she slipped out of her room.

She feared that Damon was already dead.

But, as she headed down the dark hallway to the stairs, she heard the sound of Klaus's voice. He was conversing in a quiet, hushed tone, as if to keep from waking her.

She rounded the end of the staircase, where she found light coming from the kitchen. It was also where she found Klaus, along with his brother.

"Elijah," his name slipped from her lips.

"Lyssa," he said, and stared as if he were stunned to find her in her own home of all places.

Klaus wrapped an arm around her, pressing a kiss to her temple.

Elijah glanced elsewhere, as if he were uncomfortable by the sight.

But, that was just what Klaus wanted. Lyssa was his and he had to remind his brother of that, to remind him of his place in her life.

Lyssa took notice of it, too. He hadn't kissed her since the funeral, so why now, in front of Elijah?

She wondered if Klaus saw him as a threat to their... well, whatever was going on between them.

"How are you feeling?"

She shrugged.

Elijah cleared his throat and said, "I do apologize for coming unannounced."

Always the gentleman.

"My brother and I had matters to discuss concerning the hunter in town," Elijah says, before adding, "there's reason to believe he's part of a very old, and very dangerous line of vampire hunters."

"Which is why Elijah and I are leaving for Italy tomorrow night," Klaus explained. "We need to retrieve a very important... artifact, if you will."

Lyssa's brows creased in response.

"I want you to come with us," he continued.

She knew the offer wasn't one she could decline, knew it was more of a statement than a suggestion.

Klaus would never leave her in Mystic Falls, not after what happened with Damon.

Lyssa nodded, "okay."

━━━━

ELIJAH STEPPED PAST the threshold to Lyssa's bedroom, gently pushing the door open. She sat, wrapped in a blanket, curled up beside the large window that overlooked her backyard.