37

At Lunch

4:00 P.M.

August

"Mama, we gotta' tell ya' sum'n." I interrupted everyone's eating. "Go ahead boy. Buildin' up suspense and shit." she said. "A'ight well, Missy gon' move in wit' me. Where she staying at na', she feel claustrophobic and it's more space where I'm at." I announced. "Don't be fucking all rough and shit with my grandbaby in there. She don't need'a experience that right now dammit."

Right when Miss Tina finished talking, I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. "August, hey." I heard Lisa's voice. "Wassam?" I dryly replied. "Well, introduce me August." she said. "Lisa, this is Miss Tina," I said as I pointed to Miss Tina, "this here is Missy, and this is my baby girl." I finished as I pointed to Missy, then her belly.

"Oh wow, I didn't know you were gonna' be a father. Why didn't you tell me?" she questioned, like usual. "Well, because it's nun'a ya' business Lisa." I told her, thinking maybe she would leave, but she didn't. "Well, I think it's my business since we were messing around as long as we were." she retorted.

"Girl, we wasn't nothing. Ya' been knew that, so don't come outchea' acting a fuckin' fool like we was." I shot back. "You know what August, I'm done with this shit." she walked off to the car that was at Missy's house last night. I'm assuming she fucking with Janitorial Jared now, but what got me is how she tripped getting into the car, making her fall into the seat. She slammed the door shut once she got all the way in the car, making everyone laugh.

After our laughter died down, Missy began to moan as if she were in pain, causing Miss Tina and I to snap our heads in her direction. "What's wrong witchu' Miss?" I questioned, placing my hand on her lower back. She had scooted up in her seat with a grip on the side of the table. "It hurts so bad." she groaned out with her face twisted up. "What hurts?" I asked with concerned filling my voice.

She leaned backwards and pointed to the bottom of her bump towards her pelvis, but her white pants were now covered in red blood. "Missy, ya' bleeding from down below. I'on think you'ca have a period right na', can you?" I said, becoming even more scared than I already was.

She looked down at the blood and her eyes got wide as hell. She looked up at Miss Tina for answers, but Miss Tina just shrugged her shoulders. "Mama, take my keys and start the truck up. We goin' to the hospital." I ordered, tossing my keys to Miss Tina.

"C'mon baybeh, we gotta go." I said pulling her out of the chair and throwing the money on the table. "I don't wanna move Aug." she whined with tears rolling down her red face. I knelt down in front of her so she could look at me. "Look at me baybeh." she lifted her head to look at me in my eyes. "We need'a go on to this hospital so we ca' make sure ya' good. I know it hurts, but I need ya' to cooperate wit' me so you'ca feel better." I told her.

She was now making her way to my truck with my assistance of course. "I'm so scared, August." she whispered. "I am too." I concluded. When I got her in the back seat of the truck, she laid out across the seat trying to make herself somewhat comfortable. As we were riding to the hospital, I heard a few weeps from the back. I looked in my rearview to see Missy holding onto her stomach and crying hard as hell.

"Baybeh, tell me what's wrong." I shouted to her. "It hurts so bad, and what if I lose her?" she cried. Hearing her say that, brought tears to my eyes, but I quickly wiped them away before anyone could see them. "We not gon' lose ha'. Okay? I promise ya." I told her.

I know I promised, but I wasn't sure right now. I was dying on the inside right now. I didn't know what could be happening. I silently prayed to myself for our baby. I was scared to death of what could be going on.