1

Missy

Today was my monthly visit with my mother. I knew I had to visit her, but I wasn't prepared for her lectures on my relationship status. She was constantly pushing me to get with someone who she feels is "worthy". Worthy to my mother is a man who walks around in a suit all day and drives a Benz, but I'm only 20 years old. What could she really expect out of me? I was currently living in Atlanta, but I come to New Orleans to accompany my mother. My mother claims she's lonely, but she's currently in a long-term relationship with this whack ass dude, Tommy, which is the reason she moved into this dusty neighborhood.

As I was pulling into my mother's driveway, I noticed my phone was ringing. It was my bestfriend Shay. "Hello hello." I spoke into the phone. "Booo, where are you? I'm bored." I guess she had plans. "Heifer, I'm not even in Atlanta. I'm visiting my mom." I could hear her huffing and puffing on the other side. "Oh yeah, I forgot it was around that time. Well bye, f*ck you." She said, making me chuckle.

Shay and I have been best friends since our freshman year in high school, some how we basically knew all the same people and we ended up linking up ourselves. I stepped onto my mother's porch, but before I could even knock, she pulled the door. She pulled me into this huge hug, as if she hasn't seen me in years. "Ma, I just seen you four weeks ago." I said, trying to speak while she basically mushed my face together. "So shit, I miss you." "Where is your boyfriend? He's never here." I asked, wondering why it was so quiet as I walked through her kitchen. "I can ask you the same. Oops forgot you're lonely." I rolled my eyes behind her back.

As soon as we sat down to watch a couple movies, she picked a movie that was about couples vacationing together. I don't know what her issue is with me being single. Maybe I just like it. "This could be us, but you playing." My mother said, referring to the fact that she's in a relationship and I'm not. "Well that's too bad. Even if I was with someone, I wouldn't want them meeting you." Her eyes grew so wide, you would've thought she seen a ghost. "You need to let them meet mama!" She yelled, dramatically. "Shiiiit." I dragged out. "But anyways, I'm boutta get ta' steppin'" I said in the voice Martin uses, to put Pam out. "Bounce!" she said, adding in. I chuckled, walking myself out.

The Next Day

I was returning to my mother's house to get something that I left last night, it was cold outside since it was the end of November. When I got close to my mother's house, I seen this tall lightskin dude, covered in tattoos walking, with no  jacket. I didn't know if I should be nice or let him stick it out on his own but I felt bad since he was so skinny and he looked like he was about to freeze, so I just stopped in the street to be nice. "Look I know you don't know me and this is weird, but do you need a ride? I mean you look like you're gonna freeze." He looked at me funny, as if he was saying, you got me fucked up if you think I'm boutta hop in that car with you. "Uhh, I'on know about all a' that, I'on e'en know you. You might try ta' steal me ma'am." I chuckled at him, and stepped out the car to show him how little I was. "How am I," I said, pointing at my whole body "Going to steal you?" I finished while pointing up and down his whole body. He chuckled with his arms folded, I don't know if it was since he was pulling up on hypothermia or because he was guarded. "I'on know what kinda murderous weapons you have in that there car." I shrugged my shoulders. "You right, but listen, either you die from hypothermia or get in my car and I'll turn on the heat."

Eventually, after a long debate, he got in. "So, where you going?" I asked. "Nowhere in particular." I looked at him, raising a brow. "So you just walking around in winter weather with no jacket for nothing?" I asked, beginning to wonder about his mental state. You can only be psycho to walk out here like that. "Look ma'am-" he started, but I soon cut him off. "No, my name is Missy. I'm not old." I stated. "Well, Missy, I have nowhere to go. My mom put me out for some reasons I can't speak on too much right now tho." I scrunched up my face and shook my head. "Look, I don't know you like that, obviously, but I don't want you to be out here wandering around while it's 20 degrees outside." I told him.

"Well where you think Ima go, ain't nowhere else I can go." He told me. "Well I'll give you some money and you can go to a hotel." he shook his head. "I don't want you to spend ya money on some lil' nigga you picked up off the side of the street. Plus, you have to be 21 or older to get a hotel room." I mentally face palmed myself. "Well, how old are you?" I asked. "17, August." I shrugged. "August is your birth month?" I asked, since he just randomly said August. "No, that's my name." I stared at him in his eyes to see if he was lying. He was actually honest. "Stay in my room, I have a double bed." I told him. "Uhh, you'on e'en know me and I don't know you." he said stating the obvious. "I've been sitting in my car with you for about twenty minutes, you know my name, what I look like, probably seen my tag number, and you're tall as hell compared to me. You really think Ima try some stupid shit." I guess he knew I was right, with the look on his face.

"Alright, I'll go under one condition." he said, holding up one finger. "What's that?" "As long as you don't try to sneak peeks at me while I'm showering or sleeping." he said with the most serious face. "Boy shut ya young ass up. Nobody tryna look at that." I told him. "Mhm, how old are you anyways?" "20."

We continued this conversation all the way to my mother's house.