21. the phone call

Flagstaff, Arizona.

Seeing all these young girls pile into the room with distressed and fearful expressions broke Vanessa's heart. She couldn't begin to imagine how they must be feeling from all these deaths, how scared it has to be having worry if you're going to make out alive to see the next day.

Fiddling with the bottom button of her small white cardigan, she sat down next to Spencer as JJ was standing, waiting for everyone to settle in.

"I spoke to Amy's parents," JJ started. "Funeral services will be held on Sunday in Chicago. They're arriving later today to bring her home. They asked me to let you know that they will be staying downtown at the Mainline Hotel. If any of you would like to visit or pay your respects, they'd like you to feel free to do so."

"How did you all let this happen?" said a girl in the front, wearing a blue t-shirt.

JJ, Spencer, and Vanessa stared at the girl from disbelief at her question, along with everyone else in the room.

"What? Everybody is thinking it," she continued. "You are the FBI, the campus is crawling with police, and she gets murdered waiting for the security shuttle."

"That's not helpful, Katie," said the woman in charge.

"Actually, it is," Spencer spoke up. "The fact that your friend was killed in such a well-lit area with a police presence indicates that the killer is most likely part of this campus. He's not an outsider. He's someone who wouldn't raise alarm with the police or potential victims."

"You should also be aware that the three victims were brunette," said JJ.

Those in the room with brunette hair looked even more fearful than they were before. And those with lighter hair seemed to be more relaxed, but still scared for their own friends.

"At this point, we do consider it an intentional pattern."

...

After speaking to the students on campus about the murders, Vanessa, JJ, and Spencer sat down in silence thinking over it. It was especially weird for Vanessa, who wondered how one was able to take a girl with no struggle. No one had shout complaints, nothing.

"So, the unsub was able to get a girl to give in with absolutely no struggle?" said Vanessa. "None at all. It's someone who the campus trusts, right?"

Spencer and JJ both nodded.

"What occupation should be the most trusted on a campus that's had murders?" she asked them. "One who should be protecting them, protecting them from harm..."

"A police officer," said JJ.

Vanessa nodded and leaned back in her seat. "A lot of trust is put into police officers, security guards, etc... and these girls aren't going to raise alarm over a security guard working for the college... so what if it's one of them?"

"That's a possibility," said Spencer.

"That's a very strong possibility," said JJ. "I'm gonna call Hotch."

After JJ left, Spencer and Vanessa were sitting alone in the campus cafeteria together. Vanessa would sip on her coffee from time to time as he either watched her or fidgeted with his fingers. The silence between them was something incredibly awkward that one could see from a mile away. She wouldn't even glance at him even though he was clearly "glancing" at her.

JJ eventually came back with some snacks for them while they waited for something new to come up. She had her usual bag of Cheetos, Spencer some almonds, and Vanessa a bag of mini Keebler's rainbow cookies.