01. nightmares

It was a normal day at the BAU. There wasn't any case to go on, so files and paperwork were being worked on in the office.

Vanessa headed towards the back of the bullpen to grab a coffee before heading straight back over to her desk, which was beside Emily's.

"Coffee again?" Emily questioned the girl.

A grin grew on Vanessa's face. This was her second coffee of the day. Considering the fact that she didn't get a lot of sleep last night due to 'nightmares', and a long day of work; she needed as much caffeine as possible.

While they were all going through cases, Spencer had that look on his face that everyone knew all too well.

"What are you thinking about, Reid?" Emily asked as the boy tilted his head up to meet her.

"This case," he replied as he brought his fist up to lean his chin on.

"What is it?" Vanessa then asked while bending forward slightly to see what he was looking through.

"Murders following, what looks like, a dance party. Maybe a Masquerade if you consider the masks," Reid responded—not looking up at her. "It's so weird. No one has even given it a second thought."

"Do you think it's something we should tell Hotch?"

"Yeah. From what I can see, they kill a couple at each party. But none of the cops in LA have been able to catch them."

"Why?" Prentiss asked, intrigued in the case. "Do they change locations?"

Spencer nodded to answer her question.

"Do they keep the same date for each month?" Vanessa questioned as well.

"Yeah," He replied. "Every 17th."

Emily looked down on her cell to check the date.

"Guys, it's the 15th," she spoke while beginning to stand up.

"That means 2 people are going to die in 2 days if we don't do something," said Vanessa, still sitting.

"I'm gonna tell Hotch," Reid blurted out while standing up to walk into Aaron's office.

Moments later, everyone was called in for the round table discussion.

JJ turned on the TV screen which revealed all the dead victims from the case.

"Chelsea Parker, Justin Hale," JJ began to say, "Our first victims from February. Monica Harris and Luke Baker, second victims from March. And Layla Adams and Ryland Tate, our third victims from last month. Our unsub kills every 17th."

Everyone was looking through their own files and seeing the dead bodies. Short haired brunette women and brunette men; died in their masks and masquerade attire.

"The unsub did not care if their bodies were found," Morgan pointed out while looking at the locations of the bodies—dumpsters.

"Are there any signs of sexual assault?" Vanessa asked while looking up at JJ.

"Tests havent come in yet, but," She girl spoke while looking up at the screen. "I wouldn't doubt it if they were assaulted."

"And they've come from private parties?" Hotch questioned before JJ nodded.

"Well they're obviously wealthy," Emily started while inspecting the jewelry on the victims. "Look at the women's necklaces—diamonds."

"And most people who hold private parties and/or clubs have lots of money, as well, to be able to pull it off," Reid implied while looking around the table.

"We gotta get to LA, ASAP," Hotch stated while packing up his stuff. "Wheels up in 30."

Everyone began to put their files away and get ready for the flight to LA.

While walking towards the private jet, Vanessa and Spencer were walking side by side.

"How do you think we're gonna catch the unsub?" she asked as they walked.

"I have no idea," Reid replied.

"Ooo maybe we'll have to go undercover," a smile grew on the girls face. "That'll be kinda fun, you know? Dress up and stuff."

"Minus the murder and rape, yeah!"

Reid's sarcasm made the girl smile as they boarded the plane.

It was about a 5hr flight till they landed in LA. They debriefed on the plane and came to the conclusion that the cause of the killings were from sexual desire and how it's possibly a team they're looking for.

"Okay," Hotch started. "Gideon and I will look at the crime scenes, Prentiss and Morgan, talk with the families of the victims, and Reid and Rhodes...go over victimology."

Aaron looked over at the girl who was sitting at the window seat beside Reid. Her head was leaning on the palm of her hand with her eyes closed.

"Rhodes," the man said a little louder. Still no movement.

"Nessa—" Spencer nudged her slightly causing her to wake up.

"I'm up!" She immediately exclaimed causing the team to chuckle slightly.

"You and Reid are going over victimology," Hotch said to her again and she nodded. After he walked away, Morgan and Reid looked at her with questioning eyes.

"Sorry..." Vanessa spoke after noticing the stares. "I haven't slept much."

"You okay?" asked Morgan, receiving a nod from the girl.

"You can sleep until we get there," Reid suggested, but she shook her head.

"I'm fine...I don't want to worry you guys if..." She stopped herself. "If it happens."

"What?" Derek questioned.

"I've just been having these reoccurring... dreams, you could say."

"What, like nightmares?"

"Yeah. I'll be fine, though," she smiled, trying to convince them she was fine. But she wasn't.

Vanessa is dating a boy named Nathan Wagner. They'd been dating for almost a year, and she'd have reoccurring nightmares of him getting murdered in front of her own eyes. It terrified her, the thought of losing someone she loves because of her job.