06. toxic

TW// abuse

7AM the next morning, the team was checking out of the hotel and heading over to the airport to board their jet.

Vanessa sat in a single chair at the very end of the plane. Hotch sat in the next single chair over, still having his personal space. Gideon slept for once on the sofa, and the rest of the four, sat together—Spencer sitting closest to the aisle and having a clear view of the girl, Prentiss beside him, and JJ in front of her.

Morgan pulled his headphones off and rested them around his neck after noticing Reid's eyes gazing behind him. He was looking at the brunette who was reading Wuthering Heights.

"What you staring at, pretty boy?" Derek asked him, causing JJ and Emily to break out of their conversation and direct their attention to the two boys.

"Hm?" Reid hummed, caught off guard and taking his eyes off the girl to focus on the man in front of him. This made Derek turn around to see Vanessa reading peacefully.

"Ohhhh," Morgan teased and leaned forward. "What happened at the Connelly's party?" He had a smug smirk across his face.

"Nothing happened," Spencer said causing JJ to choke on her own breath knowing well that something did happen.

"You're gonna tell me...a profiler, that nothing happened?" Morgan joshed again.

Spencer nodded and pressed his lips together in response.

"You're so bad at hiding things, Spence," JJ said while leaning her head against her wrist.

"Yeah, Reid," Emily agreed. "Just tell us what happened? I mean...we already know...but just tell us."

"I'm telling you guys that nothing happened," Reid stated again, more frustrated this time. "I don't understand why you guys can never just stay out of my business!"

The three stared at the boy in shock. Wide eyes and opened mouths. At the same time, Nessa was getting up to get a cup of coffee and saw the expressions plastered on her colleagues' faces. She gave JJ a puzzled look, making her smile to hide her awkwardness.

...

When the jet landed, everyone headed back to Quantico. Hotch was back to working again, and some of the team was going to go back home for the day.

Gideon went up into his office, leaving the 5 outside the entrance of the BAU office along with Penelope joining in.

"Hello friends," she greeted. Her gaze went to Nessa who was rubbing her eyes from the tiredness. She didn't sleep on the plane, and she barely slept the night before. "Aww, Nessa you okay?"

The girl shot up to meet her friend, "Hmm? I'm fine— I didn't sleep much."

Spencer looked down at her with concern. Did the kiss really affect her that much.

"Go home and get some sleep, pretty girl," Garcia smiled. "Get some beauty rest."

Vanessa returned the smile and everyone went to go do their thing, except Spencer. He stayed behind to check up on her.

"Do you need anything?" Reid asked as Vanessa folded her coat into her arm.

"I'm fine," she replied in a monotonous voice and turning to walk away.

Spender watched her enter the elevator. He felt a huge weight on his chest that wouldn't go away. And debated on running after her and insisting that he drove her home—but he didn't.