16. just wanna be loved

TW// abuse

The next morning when Vanessa woke up, she quickly got ready and dressed for the day—wearing a baby blue ribbed top with a slightly deep v neck and the sleeves cutting off just above her elbows, and black jeans with a pair of black combat boots with a thick heel. Her hair was curled, half of it tied up in a small bun.

When she arrived at work, she entered the bullpen, and walked over to her desk—setting her go bag under it, and taking off her long black peacoat and setting it on the side of her desk. She was extremely tired from what Spencer said to her last night. It really wasn't a big deal, he's having a hard time. But, it bothered her so much.

Vanessa was walking out of the office around the corner to get a snack from the vending machine before she saw Morgan and Reid standing right on the other side. She took a few steps back, hiding behind the side of the wall, not wanting to see Reid.

"Last night when we landed, Vanessa kept bugging me and making it seem like something was wrong with me," Spencer said with an irritated voice.

"She's just worried about you, that's all," Morgan started to defend.

"Okay? But doesn't it get annoying when she thinks she knows everything about us?"

Derek had a confused expression, wondering when she's ever done that, and why he's acting so rude towards her.

"It's like—" Spencer started again, moving his coffee to his other hand. "She wants us to confide in her just so she can feel better about her own problems."

What? She questioned to herself.

"Reid—" Derek stopped him. "This isn't right."

"What isn't?"

"You're trash talking the girl that literally cares the most about you...all of that is out of love..."

"If it was, she'd leave me alone."

Morgan's mouth hung open for a moment, not wanting to fight him on it anymore.

But, from where Vanessa was, she was completely crushed. She didn't think Spencer out of all people would've been the one to talk bad about her behind her back. Everything in her wanted to go over and smack him across the face, but she was too much of a coward to ever stick up for herself.

Starting to walk away, she took deep breaths, trying to calm herself from breaking. And while that was happening, Spencer and Morgan were making their way back. They both noticed her walking further away in front of them—both of them thinking different things. Derek wondering if she heard them, and Spencer not thinking anything, only that she just got to work.

The boys eventually got back, but when they were, Vanessa was in Hotch's office.

"Hey, Hotch?" She called at the door after knocking.

"Come in," he said, not looking up from his paperwork.

"I was wondering if I could take a couple days off?"

Aaron's eyes were up now. "What for?"

"My mom," she lied. "She's feeling really sick, and she has no one else there for her to help her with things."

Hotch nodded. "Just check in once in a while, and if you need extra days."

The girl gave him and grateful smile. "Thank you."

She walked out of his office, the smile quickly faded, and Emily saw that.

"You're leaving already?" Prentiss asked once she saw Vanessa putting her coat back on and picking up her go bag.