22. restless derogatory

Vanessa had picked up her mother the first moment the team had landed back in Virginia. She was cautious to make sure it was daylight and that no one was around. And no matter how many questions her mom had, she never answered them and had her continue to pack her stuff. She still hadn't told the team about the call, either. And as the weeks went by, there was no answer from the anonymous caller again.

"You're coming to work with me today," said Vanessa.

Her mom let out a deep and dramatic gasp.

"Am I finally going to get to meet the Aaron Hotcher," she said with excitement, and Vanessa laughed. "This is great... This is so very great— He's married you said?"

"Yup, he's married, mom. So don't even try to flirt, got it? And, I haven't seen him or Gideon in a while so I don't even know if he'll be there."

Her mom nodded and thumbs uped, personality so much like her daughter.

Throughout the day, Ms. Rhodes sat in the conference room with the blinds shut hoping to see the rest of the team. Everyone else wondered why she was here, and Vanessa explained to them that she 'wanted to be here'.

Ms. Rhodes was allowed to come out, she just never did, which was odd considering how much she wanted to see Hotch. But later in the day, she had gone out and left the building only to come back with deli sandwiches for the team.

"Mom," Vanessa breathed out in utter disbelief.

"Oh, I love you Ms. Rhodes," said Garcia, who was sitting on Morgan's desk.

"Call me Rowan, please," she responded back at them.

"You are a very lovely woman, Rowan," said Morgan, and Garcia laughed while Vanessa silently cursed to herself.

Vanessa smacked a hand on her forehead and scooted in her seat.

The team enjoyed their meal and conversation with Rowan, which Vanessa secretly loved even though she acted like she hated it. She loved the idea of her mom getting close with her only friends. But then she remembered the call. There was someone still out there for her, for the both of them, and Vanessa had no idea how to protect her. She could tell Hotch and the team, but she couldn't find the right time to bring it up.

At the end of the day, the team said their goodbyes to Rowan and Vanessa. And Vanessa was going to tell Hotch about the call, but he was rushing to get home to his family for once. So she was stuck. Everyone was gone, and it was just her and her mom.

Exiting the building, Vanessa kept her hand on her gun until they got into the car. She made sure to check under the car as she walked towards it, and looked in the back seat for any intruders. Rowan made to discussion about it either.

"Vanessa!" shouted Garcia when she saw her heading to the bullpen. "Prentiss— she— she—"

"Woah, deep breaths, Pen," laughed Vanessa, shoving her shoulder gently with her coffee fisted hand.

"Emily— she's transferring—"

"Transferring?! Where is she going?"

"State Department. She's taking the Foreign Service Exam and she is not backing out!"

"No! She can't go!"

Vanessa ran inside of the BAU bullpen and frantically set down her 2 cups coffee, to which Morgan and Reid gave wondering brows at. And when she looked up at Hotch's office she could see him, Emily, and Strauss all in a discussion. Hotch looked baffled and distraught as Strauss was also in shock at whatever Emily was saying.