02. consensual

The plane was landing, and Vanessa had fallen asleep. Waking up on Spencer's shoulder, she shot up quickly and apologized.

"I'm so sorry, Spence," she said while waving her hands around. "I didn't—"

"It's okay," he chuckled. "Did the nightmare happen?"

His question made her realize that she didn't have it. The only time she didn't have that nightmare was if Nathan was in bed next to her.

"No...actually," Nessa said surprised. "I didn't."

Everyone was getting off the plane and getting into black SUV's to head over to the police department.

"Agent Jareau," JJ started to introduce herself to a man, "This is SSA Hotchner, Gideon, Morgan, Prentiss, Rhodes, and Dr. Reid."

They all shook hands with the man except for Reid, who politely waved.

"Officer Johnson," he greeted back.

The team went out to do their part while Reid and Vanessa walked into an empty office with boxes. The two of them placed the pictures of the victims and the dump sites on a clear white board. After analyzing it for a short while, Vanessa began to speak.

"From all the victims, you can see they all look the same," she spoke. "Short and brunette hair for the women, slick brunette for the men."

"Preference maybe?" Reid questioned before she nodded in response.

"What's causing the unsub...or..unsubs, to pick these victims?"

"Probably got hurt in the past? He or she either replicates one of the victims and wants to play out their fantasies."

"Cheating boyfriend or girlfriend."

"From the looks of the victims, our unsub is definitely around their age as well...maybe a little older."

"I'll call Garcia for a background check on the victims." Vanessa speed dialed Garcia and immediately, she picked up.

"Speak and be heard my lovelies!" the lady greeted causing Vanessa to smile.

"Garcia, can we get a background check on all the victims?" she asked.

"Of course! Give me a minute." Typing could be heard on the other end. "Sending the deats to you're phones...now!"

Garcia hung up the phone while Vanessa received information on all the victims.

"They're all pretty similar," said the girl while looking over at Spencer. "Wealthy—no criminal backgrounds."

"Ages?" he asked.

"Late 20's."

"Our unsub is most likely in their early to mid 30's."

Vanessa nodded in response and went back to looking into their backgrounds. Not too long after, a call from Morgan was coming in before Reid picked it up.

"Mhm," Spencer said while nodding.

Looking away from the files for a moment, Nessa looked up at Spencer, wondering what the call was about. He adjusted his glasses slightly before a puzzled face grew.

"Consensual?"

The call ended and Spencer took a seat in front of the girl.

"There aren't any signs of assault on the victims," he said to her.

"And you think it's consensual?"

"It has to be. There's tearing in the tissue but no bruises or marks to cover the assault."

"So our unsub has to have looks in order to lure the women in."

"No that wouldn't work because they're taking couples. Our victim wouldn't follow a man into another room if she were already taken."

"Maybe our unsub is having the couples have sex in front of him. That's probably how he gets off. The murders is what pushes him to the edge!"

"Possibly."

"Also, males tend to sexually assault their victims. If there are no signs of it, then our unsub is most likely a female."

"That's true." Reid had his thinking face on.

"What's confusing are the killings," Vanessa spoke again, "If the unsub is getting off from the victims having sex...why go through all that trouble when there are porn sites for that."

"It's probably better for them to see it live? Or maybe if we're dealing with more than 1 unsub...one could get off from the victims, and the other from the killings."

"The partners are dating. Male and a female. The victims are a replica of them."

"So we can scratch off the possibility of 1 unsub reliving their past."

"I think we should give the profile."

"I'll call Hotch."

...

The team was back, and given the profile before letting the rest of the police station know.

"We're dealing with more than 1 unsub," Hotch spoke. "Possibly a duo, their partnership is sexual as well as romantic."

"They're young, but extremely wealthy to pull this off," Vanessa then said. "Early to mid 30's."

"From looking at our victims, we can tell that they're both dominants," said Morgan. "No signs of sexual assault, but consensual. Victims are having sex with each other rather than being raped by the unsubs."

"Look for the wealthy families with deceased parents," Prentiss spoke. "Knowing our unsubs are young, they have to get their income from their relatives will. No job pays high enough for them to do this with their own money."

"This is LA," a police officer said. "Everyone here is wealthy. Celebrities are everywhere."

"True," Rhodes said while standing up. "But our unsubs arent in any way close to celebrities. They're smart enough to not get caught. Celebrities always have either a stalker and/or paparazzi following them."

"We have 2 days till the next murder," Hotch pointed out. "I don't want the press knowing about this, our unsubs will hold off on the murders and wait out the case. We cannot let that happen."

...

"I won't be back till Monday," said Vanessa into the phone to her boyfriend, Nathan.

"Another case?" he asked.

"Yeah, couples getting murdered. The usual."

Nathan laughed on the other line.

"Rhodes," Hotch interrupted causing her gaze to direct towards him. "We're checking into hotel rooms." The girl nodded and swung her chair back around.

"I gotta go," she sighed over the phone.

"Already?"

"Yes, Nate. I'll see you in a few days. I love you."

"Love you too," his voice showed that he was upset but Nessa forced a smile and hung up the phone.

While entering the SUV, JJ and Morgan were sitting up front while Reid and Vanessa were in the back.

"Hotch got 3 singles, and 2 doubles," said to the JJ 3 of them. "And Gideon, Hotch, and I called dibs on the singles." The girl said causing Morgan to groan.

"I am not, sharing a room with pretty boy," he insisted.

Spencer grew a frown before Vanessa tilted her head to face him.

"I'll share a room with him," she smiled trying to cheer him up.

"Thank you!" Morgan exclaimed causing the two girls to laugh.

Vanessa felt a bit uncomfortable at the idea of sharing a room with Spencer, but she was also excited. They had obvious tension between the two of them, and it always felt hot whenever they were with each other. Of course, with Nathan, she would never ever do anything to hurt him, though.