04. undercover

The next day around the 6, the team was helping Spencer and Vanessa get ready for the party.

"This is your dress," JJ said to the girl who was fixing her makeup, "Emily and I picked it out."

Prentiss was doing Vanessas hair as JJ pulled out the dress. It was a long and red spaghetti strapped dress.

"Wow," she sighed out. "It's beautiful."

"Spencer will definitely love it," Emily joked while curly a strand of hair.

"Do you guys think our unsubs will choose us as their next victim?" Nessa asked, completely ignoring Emily's comment.

"Definitely," said JJ as she set the dress down on the bed. "The dress with stand out, and hopefully the boys get Reid's hair right." A laugh escaped her causing the other two girls to laugh along.

A few more minutes passed, and Morgan and Hotch came in here and then to check up on their progress.

"Why hasn't Reid come in?" Vanessa asked while slipping into the dress once the boys left.

"It's a surprise for him," JJ smiled.

Vanessa scrunched her eyebrows together. "I don't know why you all are making a big deal out of this," she laughed. "It's not like we're going on a date."

"Sure," Emily said. "But you guys will be dancing...and acting like a couple, you know? That's what the unsubs are looking for."

A knock came onto the door and Prentiss went to open it after Vanessa had the dress fully on.

"You ready?" Hotch asked before she nodded. "Okay..lets go."

"Hotch?" She called out causing him to stop. A look was plastered on her face, letting him know she wanted to talk. So the other two girls left, and he closed the door. "Knowing what the unsubs do to their victims...you won't let it get that far, right?"

"You mean the sexual tactics? Or the murder?"

"Both." She was mostly talking about the sexual activities, but she didn't wanna say it out loud.

"We won't let it get that far," he said assuringly. "Just let us know when you've got their attention, and we'll start clearing the place."

The girl nodded and smoothed out her dress.

"Reids outside the door," he said, noticing her nervousness.

He walked over to open it and Reid had his back turned talking to Morgan before turning around from the sound. Once his eyes caught onto her, he stopped breathing for a second. She was clearly anxious about this, so he cleared his throat and smiled.

Everyone except the two noticed his reaction but decided it was best to keep quiet.

"Y—You look beautiful," said Spencer with a shaky voice. His hands placed in his front pant pockets of his black tux.

"Thanks...Your hair looks good," she smiled back at him. His hair was slicked back nicely.

It got awkward quickly. Spencer and Vanessa stood face to face while everyone circled around them.

"We should get going," Hotch interrupted making everyone turn to face him.

While in the SUV, the two were getting microphones pinned inside their clothes.

Emily was pinning it onto Vanessa while Morgan was doing the same to Reid.

Hotch parked a little further away from the building to not make anything obvious.