Chapter 35: The Festival

The following afternoon, Jasmine and I were outside in the south courtyard. She was seated beside the sultan on a raised dais to overlook the outdoor festivities. I laid between them on the dais floor, facing the crowd. From our vantage point, we were all able to watch the Agrabah court celebrate its own version of Makarsankranti.

It was the first holiday after the court had been awakened and it showed. Everywhere there was joy and laughter. Courtiers were flying elaborate kites. There were dancers, music, and other performers on the grass as well as an assortment of delicious food. It was a spectacle of color, but I paid it little mind. My thoughts were elsewhere.

I couldn't stop thinking about last night in the gardens. The picnic, the scrolls, that hug...it had all been completely unexpected and I had loved it, but my mind was mostly occupied with the conversation Jasmine and I had started just before dawn.

*****

Last night, I had stood there embracing Jasmine for I don't know how long, but when I opened my eyes, the sky had lightened to a soft blue.

"Ren? What's wrong?"

I had looked down.

Jasmine had her head tilted up at me.

"It's almost dawn," I told her regretfully. I didn't have much time left before I transformed.

"Is it?" Her tone was neutral, but I thought perhaps she was disappointed too. "I didn't realize it was so late. I suppose we ought to call it a night. I hope you had a good birthday." She gave me one last squeeze and then she let me go.

I willed my arms to move. I needed to let go of her too, but instead I started talking. "Jasmine. I'm sorry. I...I wish..." that I could stay here with you, that we could go back to hugging, that I could tell you who I am, that I wasn't curse, that...

"I know."

"You know?" I stared at her. She couldn't know.

Jasmine's mouth quirked into a wry smile. "I might be blindfolded Ren, but I'm not blind," she said in a teasing voice.

"But...how...what?" I didn't know what I was trying to say. I didn't know what she was trying to say. I had to be jumping to conclusions.

"I've shocked you, haven't I?"

Yes.

"Didn't I tell you I'm not as flighty as I seem? Ren." She hesitated and her voice became more serious and less confident. "I wasn't sure. I'm still not, but..."

My amulet began to glow. "Jasmine." I let go of the princess and stepped back.

"Ren?" She reached out, but I was already too far away.

"I have-" That was all I got out, before I transformed again. Suddenly I was sitting on the ground looking up at her.

"Ren? Ren, are you still here?"

Yes! But all that came out was an animal whine.

Jasmine slowly took off her blindfold. She looked down and saw me. "Oh. Morning Rajah. You're up early." She knelt down and petted my head. "I guess you caught me and Ren out here."

I stared into her eyes. They were shiny for a moment before she blinked and they went back to normal.

I nuzzled her hand.

"Don't worry. I'm fine," she told me in a falsely cheerful voice. "Ren was a perfect gentleman. I was just giving him a birthday hug and before you say anything, I know when I talk to Ren later tonight, he'll give me a lecture, so there's really no need for you to give me a lecture too."