Chapter 57: A Reunion

Pomegranate molasses.

Cinnamon.

Olive oil.

And the barest hint of dried ink.

I breathed it in and then impossibly, her voice came next, "Rajah," she said, "Rajah, please. Wake up. Wake up, Rajah."

I wanted to. Or at least, I wanted to be where she was, but that was easier said than done. Sleep had welded my eyelids shut. I fought to force them open.

They gave way with an audible snap that seemed far too loud, but that didn't matter.

Jasmine.

I only caught a glimpse before she enveloped me in a hug.

"Rajah!" she cried.

Jasmine!

Her hands dug themselves into my fur and her face nuzzled my shoulder. I could feel the tears. "I missed you so much!"

I missed you more!

Gods, Jasmine!

Jasmine!

Jasmine! Jasmine! Jasmine!

"Rajah!" she shrieked. I had bowled her over and we were rolling on the floor.

I didn't care.

Jasmine was laughing.

I nuzzled her hard. I held her tight. I chuffed. I whined. I was completely ridiculous in my affection.

I didn't care.

Jasmine was here!

She was here!

She was alive!

Thank the gods!

I was in her arms. She was in mine and we were together.

That was all that mattered.

She was all that mattered.

Her laughter, her tears, her smiles, her voice, her warm body, her hands in my fur, her scent, her realness, her...everything!

I couldn't get enough.

Jasmine!

Gods, Jasmine.

Jasmine reached out for my cheek.

My eyes closed just like always. I stopped nuzzling her chin and stilled, enjoying the pressure of her hand. A chuff rumbled through me.

"I...I thought I lost you," she whispered to me.

I know. I thought I'd never see you again. I thought...

Jasmine put her forehead to mine and breathed, but I could feel her trembling or perhaps that was me.

Jasmine was here and alive now, but...

I gave her a squeeze, trying to comfort us both.

Jasmine's voice still shook as she said, "I'm just so...so happy you're not dead."

Me t-

Wait...what?

My eyes popped open and I pulled back to stare at her.

Jasmine returned my gaze and I knew then that I would never find a more beautiful person. She was perfect, but that did not mean she was making sense. She was saying, "You collapsed in the gardens, don't you remember?"