Chapter 18: Together

Jasmine looked up when I entered her rooms. She was sitting by her vanity in her nightclothes. It looked like she hadn't gone to sleep yet.

"Rajah," she said. There was a mixture of uncertainty and hope in her voice. "You're back."

Then she noticed my appearance. "What happened?" she asked, coming towards me. "You're soaking wet."

I jerk my head towards the door and left back out. The princess followed me.

Jasmine and I were quiet as we walked through the hidden passage. Despite the crisis, I really wanted to talk to her about what had happened earlier tonight. But I couldn't speak for one thing and even if I could, I wouldn't have known what to say.

When we reached the alcove, Jasmine gasped and immediately rushed forward. "Prince Ali," she said as she knelt down beside him. "Are you alright?"

I tried not to roll my eyes. He would be fine.

The prince groaned and moaned as Jasmine fretted. Her concern was palpable. A part of me regretted fishing the prince out. She was already worshipping him again.

After Jasmine assured herself that the prince was alive, she summoned some of the palace guards. They removed the prince's chains and carried him up to his rooms. Soon, a doctor arrived and took over the whole affair.

I was more than ready to leave when the doctor told us to, but Jasmine insisted on stationing extra guards outside Prince Ali's rooms. Only after that was done did we finally head back to her rooms. Once we got there, she held the door open for me to come inside.

Hesitantly I accepted her unspoken invitation.

Jasmine let the door close behind us and then she knelt in front of me so that we were at eye level.

"Rajah." She slowly reached out her hand. I saw how it shook slightly.

I let her touch my cheek.

"Thank you, Rajah," she said, looking directly into my eyes.

I tried to turn away, but her hand stopped me.

"Thank you," she repeated.

I huffed. I wasn't deaf.

"I guess we haven't exactly been on the same page recently."

No, we haven't been.

"I'm sorry."

I'm sorry I tried to bite you. I was upset and my instincts acted before I could. I didn't mean it. I...

"I know," she wrapped me up in a hug. "I know."

If tigers could cry...

"We'll have to make adjustments to our contract," she said in a falsely bright tone. "Special provisions for international travel. And-"

Her voice broke. Jasmine squeezed me tight as she said the next words. "I'm sorry I stayed out so late. I really am. When you...and then you ran off. I realized how worried you must have been. I'm sorry, Rajah."

I buried my head into her shoulder.

"Also, I realized that you might not like Ali as much as I thought you did." Though I could feel her crying, the princess still managed to inject a wry note of humor into her tone. It made me want to hold her and never let go, but Jasmine pulled back so that I could see her tear-stained face.

She smiled sadly at me as she said, "I told you that we had to give Prince Ali a chance. I fell in love with him, so I figured you liked Ali too, but... I forgot to ask you what you really thought of him."

And I was so busy looking for proof. I hadn't wanted to tell her my thoughts beforehand. I was so sure that it would have just led to another fight.

"Look," she said, "I really like Ali, but you're my best friend. I will always value your opinion." She rubbed my cheek. "Even if I think it's dead wrong."

I snorted.

Jasmine's smile turned genuine. "We will figure something out. Find some sort of middle ground. Just like we always do."

I nodded. I still hated Ali. I still thought he was suspicious. And the loss of Jasmine's betrothal hurt, but I hadn't lost her. She was still here, smiling at me and I knew betrothed or not, she was my best friend. I wanted her to be happy and safe above all else, so yes, she was right.

If Ali's secrets and character weren't as sinister as I thought and if that idiot made her happy, I would deal with it. Because that's what friends did. That's what we did. We compromised and we found a way.

Together.