Chapter 37: His Trust

I stood behind a patch of trees in the palace gardens. My eyes were locked on the peacock fountain. With everything that had happened since last night on my mind, I was anxious for Jasmine to arrive. I was so sure she would arrive early tonight, but instead she kept me waiting.

When the first few minutes passed, I started asking myself: Why tonight of all nights did the princess have to be late? After a quarter hour, I was pacing back and forth in frustration. When a half-hour had gone by, I began to truly believed that I had gotten the meeting spot wrong.

After all, Jasmine and I didn't have time to set a meeting place before I transformed this morning. This was the usual spot, either here or the magician's study. Though sometimes if she was very early, Jasmine would fetch me from her study. And there was also a possibility that she was waiting for me at last night's picnic spot.

Not that it really mattered where we were meeting. I knew Jasmine. She was far less patient than I was. She was probably already searching for me. Thus, I had a much higher likelihood of meeting the princess if I stayed put. That argument kept me by the fountain for another half-hour.

And still there was no Jasmine.

That is when my resolve failed me. I had spent an entire day waiting for this conversation. I just couldn't remain idle anymore, so I began looking for the princess.

I checked the picnic spot first. Nothing. Next, I checked the two studies. No Jasmine, but I left a note in each study saying that I was looking for her. When I returned to the fountain, it was nearly two hours passed our usual meeting time and I still had no clue where Princess Jasmine was.

There was only one other place to check:

The princess's rooms.

I grimaced.

I had hoped it would not come to this. Ever since the magic cleanse, the Agrabah guards were a lot less likely to be asleep on the job and the patrols were very active in that part of the palace.

However, I was beginning to really worry about Jasmine and her rooms were the only other likely place left to look. At this point, I was ready to risk an early transformation just to confirm that the princess was safe and sound, so I headed off to the royal wing of the palace.

I carefully crept through the halls. Once I thought I had been spotted, but it was a false alarm.

By the time, I reached the princess's rooms, I felt like I had gone through a day of military training with my mentor, Kadam. I wiped my brow. I really hated this. Exploring the palace with Jasmine was fun, but doing it myself reminded me how fragile my human state was which wasn't helping my nerves at all.

I took a steadying breath and did one last spot check to confirm that there were no patrols or guard stationed nearby at the moment. Then I knocked on the door to Jasmine's rooms.

"Princess?" I hissed.

No answer.

"Princess?" I called a little louder, knocking on the door again.

Silence.

"Princess Jasmine?" This time I used a voice that I knew would be loud enough to wake her. Jasmine was a light sleeper.

But still there was no answer.

My worry increased another notch. "I'm opening the door," I announced. I slid the door open a crack and peered inside.

I couldn't tell if Jasmine was in her bed.

Not good.

"Jasmine?" I said, entering the room. The door closed behind me as I came forward. "Jasmine? Are you there? It's Ren. Please say something."