Chapter 1: An Unhappy Princess

I was laying down next to Princess Jasmine in the sultan's study when she asked, "Rajah, who should I have accompanying Aqela Hadad on her expedition to get novelty cotton from Genoa?"

I looked up at her. The princess was sitting at the study's desk and examining a few papers that were probably from the textile's guild.

Jasmine continued, "Aqela has secured a ship and crew within her proposed budget but they are a bit rough. She is asking me to find someone to act as her partner or at least, as a figurehead to help her be taken more seriously on her expedition."

I nodded. Aqela was a smart woman. She wanted a government-affiliated partner to make things run smoothly on this trip.

Jasmine held one of the papers out in front of me. "I have a list of potential merchant partners, shall I read it out to you?"

I reached up and swiped the list away. Merchants would not do. That was not what Aqela needed. She knew her fellow merchants, even the government-sponsored ones, would double-cross her in a heartbeat.

"Rajah..." Jasmine moaned. She leaned over to grab the paper. It now had claw marks through it.

I huffed out a breath and gave her a look of disappointment. The princess may understand numbers and lists but people were still a mystery to her.

"Fine, what do you suggest?"

I got up and went outside the study. After a moment, Jasmine followed. I nodded at the guard on duty at the study door.

"Amir?" she asked.

I snorted. No, not Amir, he was an idiot. Even now Amir stood slacked jawed as the beautiful princess studied him intently.

Then she clapped her hands together. "Oh, you mean a guard in general. Any guard," she said to me.

I nodded.

"That's a great idea!" she said excitedly. She turned and left poor Amir staring at her retreating form. His eyes were focused on her hips.

I growled a warning at him.

Amir jerked and he straightened up. His eyes refocused to stare at the corridor. I gave him one last warning look before following the princess inside the study.

She was back at her desk. In her hand was a quill that she was tapping against her chin. I would bet that she was starting a list of guards. The princess had records for everything.

She looked down at me as I settled back into my spot beside her desk. "What do you think of Fahir? He has several years of sailing experience and he looks the part."

I shook my head. Fahir would not be an ideal choice. He had hated his time at sea. Plus, he was a little too pompous to be left on his own.

"No? How about Muhammad then? He has some sailing experience and he's reliable."

I thought about it for a moment but that was an easy choice. Muhammad was a good man. He looked fairly intelligent and would pass for a merchant. And most importantly, he followed orders. That man would be willing to do things exactly as this woman merchant instructed. No questions asked. I nodded enthusiastically.

The princess smiled and rubbed my head affectionately. "Excellent! I'll draft a reply for father to sign."

She pulled out a new piece of paper but before she could begin writing, the sultan stormed in.

The man's chest was puffed up like a balloon. Here we go. "Jasmine! Where is Prince Achmed?"

The princess looked up from her work. "He's gone. Rajah dismissed him."

"Gone? Gone!" the sultan exclaimed. "But he just got here."

The princess shrugged and tried to start writing.

"Don't just ignore me," he blustered. "Young lady, I need you to take this seriously."

Jasmine put down the pen.

"I am taking this seriously. Achmed was an idiot like the last five suitors and a bigoted one at that. You know, that I won't submit to a man who can't even think. Rajah here does a better job and he's just a tiger."

I growled.

She patted my head, "The best and smartest tiger in the world," she whispered.

"But Jasmine," the sultan pleaded, "Your birthday is less than six months away and the law says:"

"I must marry a prince by my sixteenth birthday. I know what the law says. Honestly, father, I could care less. You make the laws."

"Not this one. It is tradition..." the sultan whined.

Jasmine sighed. "You know I'm not trying to be overly picky. I just... don't want our kingdom in the wrong hands. I haven't been able to imagine ruling this place with any of the princes I met so far."

"Except for Prince Dhiren," the sultan said sulkily.

"Except for him I suppose," she amended.

"If only he hadn't been lost. Betrothed marriages are so much easier than all of this. But Jafar is doing the best he can," the sultan put in.

The princess and I exchanged a look.

The sultan heedless of us continued, "You know how hard he works. If only you gave these princes more of a chance and kept them away from Rajah."

I growled again.

Jasmine patted my head. "If they can't handle my tiger. Then they can't handle me."

The sultan shook his head. "Well next time give the prince more than an afternoon. Will you?"

Jasmine hesitated.

"For me," the sultan added.

She acquiesced. "Very well. If he doesn't insult me within the first five minutes, I'll give him more of a chance."

The sultan nodded. This was the usual end of their argument. They talked more civilly after that, letting the age-old disagreement simmer until the next prince.

As soon as the sultan left, however, I knew what was coming next.

The princess moaned. "Rajah! I can't take this anymore. I swear all princes are fools. Even the ones I invite are useless. I could never marry any of them." She kicked at the floor. "I sometimes wish I could marry you, Rajah. You as a tiger really do outclass all of these wannabe princes. And I know you and I make a good team."

She scratched my head and I chuffed happily. She didn't know how much I wished she wasn't joking.

"I'm going out tonight," she said suddenly.

I groaned.

"Come on, I deserve a break after what I went through today. Aladdin promised to show me a new part of the night market the last time I saw him."

I grumbled. Aladdin. I hated that boy. He was some street urchin who had saved the princess on her first trip out when she was 13. Nowadays every time she rejected a suitor, he seemed to be right there to help her "escape".

"I promise I'll follow the rules. I'll be safe," she said.

I rolled my eyes. Princess Jasmine? Safe?

"Don't be such a stick in the mud. Aladdin will be there," she said.

As if that was a comfort. That boy and his monkey attracted more trouble than a sack of gold. Jasmine was always getting into scrapes with him.

But even with all my grumbling and pleading, I couldn't stop the princess any more than the sultan could. The one time I had tried to; it had nearly gotten both of us killed. After that, I swore for both our sakes not to do that again.

So, as the princess changed into her disguise, I waited in the garden to give her a boost out into the city. My mind wondered. Her words about us marrying brought up an old memory, one I could never forget.