Chapter 6: Another Prince

Aladdin was dead. I still couldn't believe it. The boy always struck me as irresponsible and reckless. I can't say that I was surprised he finally got caught, but execution?

Even I wasn't jaded enough to want that.

I wanted to be mad at Jafar, but I just couldn't be. Even though I didn't exactly believe the vizier was only acting in Jasmine's best interest, the man had been right. I should have stopped Jasmine's rendezvouses a long time ago. Now a boy was dead because of us.

I couldn't share these thoughts with Jasmine, but I did my best to comfort her. I was the only one, save Jafar, who understood what really happened.

Jasmine spent the next few days pretending to be ill and avoiding the court to mourn the loss of Aladdin. I made sure to stay close to her and give her all my attention, even if it meant listening to tales of Aladdin and all the times she'd nearly died because of that foolish boy.

Today, we sat in the gardens. Jasmine was in the middle of a story about Aladdin getting chased through a harem when the ground began to shake. I sat up and my ears twitched.

"What is it, Rajah? Are you bored with my silly tales?"

I shook my head. My ears were still twitching. There was a thrumming sound. Something was coming.

The sultan ran in. "Jasmine! Jasmine! You must come at once!" he said.

Jasmine got up and allowed the sultan to pull her along. I followed in their wake.

The sultan led us up into a high balcony above the throne room. It overlooked the city. It was a tight fit to get up those stairs but I managed it. Out in the open air, I could make out the sounds of tubas, drums, and faint shouting. Soon, I could hear the individual words.

"Make way for Prince Ali! Make way for Prince Ali!"

I turned to look at Jasmine. Another suitor, at a time like this?

After a few moments, she heard it too. Jasmine's mouth went thin. The sultan, however, was a positive ball of excitement. Jasmine had not revealed Jafar's political maneuvering to him, so the sultan was happily oblivious as usual.

Down below the voices that called out for this Prince Ali changed. They started singing. I reached up to lean forward on the railing and get a better look.

It was then that I saw something impossible. It was a caravan, but it was unlike any caravan I had ever seen. First, the caravan was nearly as long as the entire city. It had a whole band with dancing girls, drummers, flag-bears, gold carriers, bell ringers, jugglers, swordsmen, bakers, and well it just kept going and going. There was a carriage filled with peacocks, cages with lions and bears, more gold than I'd ever seen in my life, and him, the prince, riding on top of an elephant larger than some of the buildings in the market.

As the circus came closer, I could hear the song more clearly. One man sang about all the prince's virtues and wealth. The song made outrageous claims about the prince but then there was that caravan, which could not be ignored.

"What is this?" a voice said from behind us. I turned and saw Jafar looking down at the spectacle.

"Look Jafar," the sultan said, "A prince has come."

Jafar's brows came together. "Prince Alexander isn't scheduled to come for another few weeks," he said.

"Oh no!" the sultan said excitedly, "This is Prince Ali."

Jafar raised an eyebrow. "I am... unfamiliar."

Before the sultan could say more, Jasmine turned to leave. "I think I'll retire to my room."

"But Jasmine, the song..." the sultan began, but it was too late. The princess had already gone.

"It's not over," the sultan said to the empty space.

Jafar put a hand on the sultan. "She needs to prepare for dinner."

The sultan pouted. "She's been so moody recently. Teenagers. Jafar, take my advice, and never have children. They are so confusing."

"Of course, your majesty," Jafar said. "Very sound advice." He glanced over to exchange a look with his parrot, but the bird was actually dancing.

"Iago," Jafar hissed.

"Sorry," the parrot squawked.

I shook my head. I took one last look at the display below. The prince was passing out gold by the handful to the crowd. Ridiculous.

I left. I would see the prince soon enough. I had to check on Jasmine.