Chapter 53: An Assassination

My first instinct upon seeing Prince Ali flounce into my betrothed's rooms with his kidnap-ready carpet was to cross the ledge that connected my balcony to the princess's, steal into Jasmine's rooms myself, and kill the prince before he had a chance to open his filthy mouth.

I ignored the impulse since duels to the death and assassinations were not acceptable solutions here in Agrabah. Instead, I quickly strode back inside to engage in a less scandalous approach.

It was not as if I hadn't been preparing for the prince's return for weeks. Considering the lack of subtlety in Prince Ali's entrance, my small spy network should have spotted him and be taking measures to notify me, the sultan, and a select number of Agrabah guards within the quarter-hour. However, after all the surprises today, I was in no mood to rely on the ambassador's untrustworthy servants or an army of Agrabah guards. Fortunately, my old rooms already had exactly what I needed to face the prince.

I took hold of the curtains that surrounded my old bed and climbed up to the very top of the cloth canopy. Stashed among the folds was a pouch made of the same material and color as the canopy. I opened the pouch and pulled out a tiny iron-silver tin. It held a small collection of very potent qumabêruh crystals. Half of those crystals went into my right pants pocket where they would be easily accessible. I, then, closed the tin and placed it into a hidden shirt pocket. After I confirmed that the pouch was sealed and safe in its hiding place once more, I slid back down the curtains to the floor.

I took a moment to examine myself in the vanity mirror to make sure I was presentable. Then I left to go galvanize the guards outside of Jasmine's rooms. I was ready with a half-thought-out speech, but before I opened my mouth, a small guard who I recognized as one of the princess's new servants said stiffly and unhelpfully, "The princess said no one is to enter her rooms at night."

The other guard, Fahir, added, "Ned's right. It's late, Prince Dhiren. You ought to come back in the morning."

I banished my stereotypical affable expression. I had no need for the advice of a dull and forgettable bodyguard or a second-rate duelist. These two were going to help me maintain the proprieties and uphold their duty to ensure their princess's safety whether they liked it or not because I was more than a visiting royal or idle suitor at this point. As of this evening, I was officially Princess Jasmine's betrothed and she needed my protection.

Assuming a stern countenance, I doused my words with aristocratic authority and said, "This is an emergency. Stand a—"

The sound of shattering glass followed by a scream interrupted my command.

"Jasmine!"

My body moved without thought. I slipped past the guards and thrust the doors open before they could intervene. Then I was faced with a situation that surpassed some of my worst fears.

The princess's rooms were in chaos. Feathers, stray linen, and random objects were scattered across the floor along with the remains of what looked to be a large glass jar.

Prince Ali stood on his carpet, hovering a couple of meters above the mess and struggling to hold Jasmine around the waist. He was fighting two of the princess's new handmaidens who were gripping Jasmine's hands and trying to pull her to safety. The last handmaiden stood a few feet away ready to throw a heavy book at the prince.

These three female servants were the princess's sole defenders. The bodyguard who was supposed to be in here was nowhere in sight.

Thank the mother goddess that I was here now.

The instant I entered the room shouting the princess's name, the nightmare halted and all eyes turned on me.

Prince Ali spoke first. "Stay back! I don't wanna hurt anybody else."

At the same time, Jasmine cried, "Prince Dhiren! Help! He's kid-!" But that was all she got to say because Prince Ali covered her mouth with his hand.

Rage flared up within me. I tamped down on it quickly. As a prince of Mujulaain, I had training in all sorts of things, hostage situations being one of them. I tried not to think about the odds of success. It was paramount that I remain calm and collected.

I could do this.

After the would-be kidnapper spouted another lie about this being a huge misunderstanding, I responded in kind. In an unthreatening amiable voice, I said, "Of course. I believe you. Why don't you land your carpet, so we can sort this all out peacefully."

To my great satisfaction, the felon appeared tempted by my offer.

I smiled encouragingly at him, but then Fahir growled from behind me, "Damn it, Ned! That man has the princess!" like the fool was only just now taking in the situation.

I felt movement before I saw it. I managed to grab Fahir before he caused trouble, but the other guard zipped past me with his sword inexpertly raised.

I yelled at the idiot to, "Stand down!"

In the next moment, I caught him by the vest and tugged him back and onto the floor.

However, Prince Ali had already been spooked and was shouting, "Get us out of here!"

In response, the magic carpet jerked backward and Jasmine slipped out from her handmaidens' grip.

The carpet was taking them outside!

I let go of the useless guards, reached into my right pants pocket, and threw my secret weapon before the vile prince could escape to the balcony with my princess. Qumabêruh crystals showered the magic carpet and three things happened at once:

One, the flying carpet transformed into a threadbare rug that immediately plopped onto the floor.

Two, Prince Ali fell backward off of the carpet while his clothes changed from opulent finery to dingy rags.

And three, Jasmine...

When the sand crystals made contact with the princess, thin lines of scarlet and cobalt light spread across her skin and clothes in a fast-growing recursive web.

Despite everything, there was no fear in her now indigo eyes, only determination. Her intense gaze held me as she opened her mouth to speak, but no words came. Instead, there was a horrible crack!

The world went blue as Jasmine shattered into a million sparkling pieces.

In the space of a few seconds, the most important person in my life became nothing more than a pile of black sand.