Chapter 7: A Royal Dinner

The princess was fuming in her rooms as I sat watching her. The sultan had just come by to tell us that Prince Ali would be joining us at the head of the table for dinner. The man also informed us that despite the princess's "illness", she would be expected to attend.

It was no surprise. The sultan was serious about three things: Jasmine never leaving the palace without his permission, Jasmine getting married by her 16th birthday, and his toy-making hobby. The man was very good at whittling wood figurines.

"I cannot believe this," she said. "It hasn't even been a week since Aladdin's death. Jafar knows that even if Father does not. And yet I have to court that...that idiot."

She wiped away the tears that were forming.

I sat up and went over to her, but she pushed me away. "You never liked Aladdin anyway."

It wasn't untrue, but I still wanted to make her feel better.

"I think..." she paused, "I think he loved me."

I took a deep breath in. This wasn't a surprise. I refused to be surprised.

"He proposed, Rajah. Before the guards took him away. He..." She stopped and stared at me.

I was in shock. She hadn't said any of this before. Granted she hadn't actually spoken of that night at all, but still.

"And now that he's gone. I just feel so lost." She knelt down and I knew I should comfort her, but my body was having trouble with moving.

Aladdin had proposed to her. That mangy street rat?

Jasmine let out a sob. I had to force myself to move closer to her. It felt like wading through sand dunes.

"How will I ever get through this?" she asked.

I did my best to store my emotions. I could examine them later. Jasmine needed me now. I rubbed up against her.

She embraced me and said, "Oh Rajah, I'm such a fool."

I nuzzled my head against her, trying my best to communicate that I was here. That I would be here for her.

When evening came, the sultan sent Jasmine additional maidservants. He was leaving nothing to chance. The efficient ladies took Jasmine away from me to wash and bathe her.

I made my way outside to wait. I was still in shock. Aladdin loved her. He offered to marry her. Yes, I doubt he understood the supreme difference in their classes. Jasmine had never to my knowledge revealed that she was a princess. It was part of our contract, but still.

Aladdin? The scamp who was always getting her into trouble? Who smelled like monkey, stole things from everyone including her and then blamed said monkey? The boy who had always called her a foolish girl and insulted her almost every time they met?

I shook my head. I had always been jealous, but only because he was human. I had never thought, never believed there had been anything romantic.

But why wouldn't there be? Everyone said Jasmine was a beautiful girl and Aladdin wasn't blind. But then what about Jasmine? Did she love him back?

She was sure acting like it.

I felt like roaring and rampaging through the palace, but I couldn't. Jasmine was there in her rooms. I'd never seen her as fragile as she'd been in these last few days. She needed me and I would be there.

Jasmine came out in a beautiful turquoise gown embroidered with gold to match her large earrings. I stood beside her and we walked into the dining hall. Everyone's eyes were on us, including the prince, and his advisor. To her credit, Princess Jasmine held her head up high as the court stared at her. You could almost see the ice forming around her like a shield.