Chapter 11: Her Escape

I did not calm down from my fight with Jasmine until late that night. I wasn't sorry about my actions, but I managed to be sorry about how I scared her in the gardens. I knew that I couldn't let my anger stop me from being a proper protector. I swallowed my pride and decided to do my best to reconcile with her.

It was after dinner so I went to her rooms. But when I got there, I heard voices.

First, Jasmine said. "Is it safe?"

And then Prince Ali answered, "Sure! Do you trust me?"

No!

I panicked and pushed through the doors. I saw Prince Ali help Jasmine step onto a... flying carpet? Magic?

Not good.

The prince saw me first. He gave me that creepy smile before steering the carpet up into the air.

I was at the balcony in moments, but they were already too high to reach. I roared.

Jasmine looked back.

Our eyes met.

I shook my head and whined, begging her not to go.

But there was a twinkle in her eyes, one that spoke of mischief. It was the same look she had worn when she told me that she was going to leave the palace to see Aladdin for the second time. The princess raised her chin up in defiance and then she turned to the prince. I saw her whisper something. A moment later they accelerated into the clouds.

All I could do was watch from the balcony as Jasmine left me behind yet again.