Chapter 51: Their Arrival

I had not moved from my spot in the sultana's studio. My eyes were still fixed on the princess's empty seat when my privacy was destroyed by Ambassador Bhushan hammering on the studio door and frantically shouting, "राजकुमार धीरेन? तुम्ही तिथे आहात का? मला तुमच्याशी बोलावे लागेल ते तातडीचे आहे."

I wanted to ignore him. I was in no mood for his toothless apologies or platitudes. I had gotten enough of such things from his manservant, so the ambassador would have to wait.

However, he did not wait. The ambassador flung the door open without my leave to do so.

"Ambassador Bhushan," I growled without turning around. I refused to look at him. My emotions were too high. "You know I do not like to be disturbed during my luncheon."

The ambassador closed the door behind us. He did not apologize or even acknowledge the displeasure in my voice. He spoke with authority and an edge of panic as he announced, "मुजुलाईनचे एक मंत्रालय नुकतेच शहरात आले आहे!"

And with that, my luncheon was over.

*****

Now I was standing in another familiar spot, in front of the main mirror in my rooms. Vinit fussed over me while I inspected his work with a critical eye.

"You look very regal, Rājakumāra," Vinit tried to assure me.

I met his gaze in the mirror. How many times had he uttered this or some similar token statement? Every day since my first real night as a prince, I suppose. That meant we had been doing this for nearly three weeks.

Any other day before this, I would have accepted such trite praise from him as my due. However, this evening, Vinit's compliment felt like a poorly veiled insult.

"You flatter me," I replied simply.

"Of course," Vinit said, in ready agreement. Without a hint of remorse, he added, "You deserve to be flattered, Rājakumāra. You are regal and noble at all times and tonight it is especially apparent that you are of the purest Mujulaai blood. No one can doubt that."

I controlled my expression.

Vinit was just a servant. It was not personal. He was only doing his job.

My reply was civil enough. I said, "My exceptional appearance this evening is thanks to your excellent work, Vinit. Thank you for your continued service. Now please, inform Ambassador Bhushan that I am ready."

The manservant fidgeted nervously. There was something in his expression that I did not like and that was before he tried to speak.

Oh no. I refused to be countermanded again today.

"Vinit," I said coolly with something like a smile on my lips. "You linger here unnecessarily. Leave me. Now."

"Of course, Rājakumāra," Vinit said, remembering his place. I watched the servant bow his head and scurry off to go find his true master.

After he left my rooms, I sighed.

Should I replace the ambassador's manservant?

Though I had originally intended to keep him as a sign of favor to Ambassador Bhushan, it might be for the best if I abandoned that plan. My relationship with both of them was not what it ought to be. They had grown insolent while I was unconscious. I too was...not the same as before.

I could not forget my transgressions from earlier today. I had acted so horribly. I could have ruined everything. If Ambassador Jamal hadn't shown up, I might have been mired in a scandal right now. The very idea of it haunted me, but such musings were not appropriate for this auspicious occasion. I examined my reflection instead.