Chapter 41: Another Royal Dinner

Later that day, I stood in my new bedroom staring at myself in the mirror.

"You look very fine, Rājakumāra," a soft voice said behind me in accented Arabic.

"Of course, I do," I said, using the mirror to look at Vinit, my new manservant. He was a small man of indeterminate age with a fine mustache and long thin hands that seemed to always be moving.

Though he looked anything but capable, Ambassador Bhushan had assured me that Vinit was the very best and it was true that I had no complaints about my appearance.

The white dhoti Vinit had selected was made of the finest fabric and the brilliant blue bejeweled pheta on my head matched my eyes and my amulet which wasn't tucked under my shirt but proudly displayed. When I had talked to the sultan, I had dressed well, but now I was in full traditional royal Mujulaain attire.

In short, I looked like me, so why was it so hard to smile?

I tried again, but it was more of a grimace.

Damn it.

Earlier today, I'd been smiling like it was nothing. I had been practically mad with happiness. And now...this.

What sort of diplomat couldn't smile on demand?

I was a prince. This was a basic requirement. And I needed to do everything I could to appear normal which meant I needed more than a fancy outfit. I had to act the part if I didn't want the court to eat me alive.

"Rājakumāra?" Vinit inquired in a quavering tone which did not help things.

How was I supposed to reach a state of calm assurance when he kept fidgeting and sending me furtive glances?

"Shall I tell Sēnāpatī Bhushan that you're ready?" he asked.

Was I ready?

I contemplated my reflection. My mouth twitched into a passable expression, but it was hardly what I was going for.

Come on Dhiren.

"Rājakumāra?" Vinit asked again.

I closed my eyes and breathed. Ever since I'd lost my identity, I had dreamed of this moment. Tonight, I was Prince Alagan Dhiren Rajaram of Mujulaain, son of King Rajaram and Queen Deschen of Mujulaain and everyone would know it.

So of course, I was ready. I was born ready.

"Rājā-"

"Yes, Vinit. I am ready," I said, interrupting him. "Thank you. You may go."

He bowed deeply and scurried off.

Good riddance.

I attended to my reflection one last time.

No more trying to appear confident. I was confident. I was Prince Dhiren.

I summoned up my most charming court smile. The one that would set my eyes to dazzling. The type of smile a prince should have before meeting his princess.

Ah yes. That was it. I could just picture Jasmine's expression when she saw her handsome prince.

By some miracle, my smile brightened even more.

There!

Perfect as it should be.

****************************

My arrival in the dining hall was like a splash of water on a fire. All sound ceased. Every head turned my way as I knew they would.

I flashed that practiced smile and watched dozens of ladies blushed despite themselves. Yes. That was more like it.