Chapter 43: A Duel

"Isn't it a beautiful day, Rajah?" The princess's voice was warm and welcoming.

I opened my eyes and looked up at her.

Jasmine was gazing wistfully out at the garden. We were lounging about in our favorite spot, the peacock fountain, and enjoying an uncommonly pleasant afternoon.

"Rajah?" she asked again.

I nodded at her, though my opinion was superfluous. Anyone could recognize that it was a lovely day. The colors out here were brilliant. Every flower seemed to be in bloom, filling the air with the scent of spring. And best of all was the feeling of the sun shining down and warming my fur.

"Rajah." Jasmine's voice was more urgent now.

I raised my eyebrows at her.

Yes? I was listening. What is it?

"Rajah," she said, "Come on. You need to wake up. Please."

But I was awake. I was here with her. Everything was...

I spluttered and my eyes flew open as water ran down my face.

What the-

I tried to get my bearings. I was not outside in the sun for one. It was dark. I was human and I was still in my bed which meant I must have been dreaming.

"I am very sorry, Rājakumāra," a frazzled voice was saying from somewhere above me. "You said you wished to be woken up precisely at half-past four."

I turned to find Vinit's unsteady gaze and asked, "Did it not occur to you to just shake me awake?" It was too early for me to remove the acid from my tone or the accusatory look in my eyes as I sat up and wiped the cold water off my face.

"I tried," he said pitifully, "I most sincerely made the attempt, Rājakumāra, but you refused to wake, so I..." Vinit continued to spout excuses.

I tuned him out. I couldn't believe timid Vinit had thrown water in my face. I had not been woken up in this horrid fashion since Kishan and I were little. Though considering what day it was, I supposed it was fitting.

After I deemed an appropriate time to act truly displeased had passed, I said, "I understand, Vinit. You were merely following instructions. Just make the bed suitable by tonight and we will speak no more of it."

Vinit's eyes went wide and he nodded fervently. "Of course, Rājakumāra."

Rajah

I could almost hear Jasmine's voice. I got out of bed. It was time to put aside my silly dream.

"I have a dry towel for you, Rājakumāra." Vinit offered it to me.

I took the towel and wiped the moisture out of my hair and face. After drying off, I felt a bit better and much more charitable. "Alright," I said to Vinit, "Please bring out my dueling clothes."

It was time to go face Fahir.

******

Less than an hour later, I was exiting the armory with my favorite sword, दुर्गा का बदला. Not for the first time, I found myself thankful that दुर्गा का बदला had been kept in the armory after all these years. Most of the Agrabah guard favored cutlasses, but I much prefer my own talwar with its longer more elegant blade. The moment I had held the golden hilt of दुर्गा का बदला again, I felt like I had returned home. Many a day had been spent training with Kadam with only this and a small shield to aid me.

This morning was abundant with such memories. Duels were a staple in Mujulaai society. My martial arts training had begun when I was four. First with Kalaripayattu and a bit of kendo, then when I was seven, I began to move away from practice swords and the performing arts to self-defense, close-quarters combat, battle tactics, and duels with ever-growing stakes.