Chapter 12: Promises

That first time, when Jasmine was missing and Nadim was sleeping soundly in his bed, I had searched for her like my life depended on it. It had been a nightmare tracking her through the streets of Agrabah. When I had finally found her, she was standing on the other side of a marketplace and talking to a shady street rat, the one and only Aladdin.

That's when I made my third mistake.

Seeing Jasmine talking with that street rat sent me into a panic. I had barreled through the marketplace to get to her, but I never reached her. Instead, I got captured by the exotic animal merchant. She wanted to skin me for my rare white tiger fur. To save me, Aladdin and Jasmine had mounted a dangerous rescue that still haunts me to this day.

Afterward, I had received a long lecture from Jasmine as I escorted her back to the palace. It was karma I decided, for all the mistakes I had made over the last few days. I hadn't watched over her when Prince Nadim visited. I had ignored the signs of danger the night before and my last mistake was getting her and myself into trouble due to my rashness.

At the end of the lecture, the princess had said, "I never want you to put yourself in danger like that again. No going to the marketplace, alright?"

I had nodded. It seemed like a good idea and another lesson from this whole ordeal. I thought both of us were a little wiser now.

Even the sultan seemed to have learned something because he was even stricter about Jasmine leaving the palace for any reason after that and we didn't see another prince for several months. When a prince did finally come, I made sure to stick by the princess's side.

Eventually, the new prince showed his true colors and I had to chase him off. This began a pattern. I soon seemed to be warding off every prince that visited. They insulted her, endangered her, or lusted after her. Jasmine let me "dismiss" them. I was her protector.

The sultan complained about her behavior at least once a week. He thought Jasmine was being over-cautious and cold with the new princes. He repeatedly told her that not all princes were like Prince Nadim. Jasmine argued that he was being overbearing and heartless, considering what happened to her with the drunken prince. Only Jafar ventured to mediate these arguments, but both father and daughter were adamant.

After prince number six, she turned to me while we were in her rooms and said, "I am so tired of this. I'm only 13. I shouldn't have to think about marriage yet."

I nodded. Though 13 was a common age for betrothal, the sultan was being too pushy for my liking.

"I'm a young princess. I should be doing my lessons, or having tea parties, or..." the princess paused. Then her eyes twinkled dangerously.

I whined. I did not like that look. It bespoke of trouble.

"Rajah," she announced, "I'm going to see Aladdin."

What!

She raised her chin up. "I promised that I would see him again and a princess should never break a promise."

I growled at her. She had never told me about this supposed promise before.

She smiled down at me. "You can either keep your promise and help me or do what you did last time."

I winced. I didn't want that to happen again. But still, when I agreed not to venture out, I had assumed she would do the same, not go out alone to talk to street rats and other criminals.

"I'm going," she repeated. "And you can't stop me."

We'd see about that. I turned and started to head outside of her rooms towards the nearest guard.

"Rajah, no!" she said once she realized what I was doing.

I kept going. I was determined.

"If you tattle on me, I won't be able to trust you. I'll sneak out later," she warned.

I turned and stared at her. She couldn't be serious.

"I will," she said confidently. "My mind is decided. You're either with me or against me."

I growled again and headed back towards her. I couldn't risk it.

Princess Jasmine smiled widely. "Yes!" she exclaimed. "My negotiating skills are getting better every day."

I rolled my eyes and grumbled.

"So now," she said excitedly, "the plan."

I shook my head.

She frowned. "But you agreed," she protested.

That's what she thought. I walked over to the small desk in her rooms and sat down. I stared at her fiercely. Now it was time for the true negotiations to begin.

The princess groaned. "Fine..." she said following me to the desk. She sat down and pulled out a fresh sheet of parchment. Then she got a quill and said, "Name your terms."

I couldn't help it. I smiled.