Chapter 2: An Indian Prince

I remember when I first arrived in Agrabah years and years ago. I was fifteen and on my way to see my betrothed for the first time. I came with a small band of guards and servants.

I remember standing and look up at the north side palace from the ship docks. I thought to myself that the paintings did not do Agrabah justice. The palace was magnificent. It dwarfed everything around it and the city overflowed with signs of wealth and prosperity.

When I entered the palace, I was announced. One of my servants cried out, "Behold, Prince Alagan Dhiren Rajaram, second son of King Rajaram and Queen Deschen of Mujulaain."

I winced at the announcement. I had always thought I was the crown prince of my country but when I had first turned fifteen, my parents told me the truth. They revealed to me that I was actually their second son and Kishan, my brother, was the true heir to the throne. They lied to both of us to protect Kishan from some prophecy.

Then they told me that I was betrothed to Princess Jasmine and must seek her out before the end of the year. Here I was now. It was months later, but my new title still grated. I had thought I would be king one day, but that honor was gone forever.

I hid my distaste with a deep bow. Only after I had controlled my expression did I look up into the clever eyes of Princess Jasmine.

As a ten-year-old, the princess was a pretty little girl of delicate features. But beyond that, there wasn't much more to say about her. At fifteen, I was practically a man and she was a mere girl sitting on a throne that was too big for her.

The sultan sat beside her. He was a plump man with a jolly face. "I am so happy to finally meet you, Prince Alagan," the sultan said. "Your parents have been singing your praises for years."

"Please," I said, "Call me Dhiren."

"Very well," the sultan said. "Then you must call me, Hamed."

He turned to the young princess. "Well, Jasmine, what do you think?"

The princess looked at me thoughtfully, "Mujulaain is a very powerful kingdom. So, in that way, I suppose he is suitable. I can't really say anything else."

I blinked. That was an odd thing for a ten-year-old to say.

The sultan glanced nervously between me and Jasmine. "Jasmine dear, what are you saying? Of course, you can say something else." Then he turned to me, "Please forgive her. Princesses, you know, they say the darndest things."

"Of course, Father is right," Jasmine agreed, "Forgive me for not instantly liking you, Prince Dhiren. You have very nice...eyes?"

"Well, that's better," the sultan said as if it was all cleared up.

But it didn't answer my question. Why had she said that? Was it truly an insult or was she merely parroting something she'd heard her father say earlier?

It was a question for another time, so I said instead, "Thank you for the compliment, Princess Jasmine. Your eyes are also...nice."

I stifled a smirk and continued, "I am looking forward to forging a new connection between your kingdom and mine. After all, Mujulaain is a very powerful kingdom, but Agrabah is the jewel of the desert. I am already impressed by the city's splendor and charm."

"Such pretty words," the sultan said appreciatively.

The princess said nothing. The look in her eyes was cautious and I wondered what the little princess could be thinking.