Chapter 38: A Heated Exchange

I had read poems that talked about flames of passion and being set ablaze with desire. However, unlike my brother, I was not the type to rake up as many conquests as possible, so I had never been in a position to test the validity of those expressions and had assumed that the poets must be speaking in metaphors.

I was wrong.

The instant Jasmine's lips touched mine, I felt like I was being consumed by fire. The desert sun was chilly compared our kiss and yet I still wanted more. I pulled her closer and heat blazed from wherever our hands wandered.

For a few moments, I completely lost control. I wanted her, needed her, and nothing else mattered.

I, at last, came to my senses when Jasmine sat on my lap.

I lurched away from her.

"Jasmine!" I snapped. "What on earth are you doing?" What on earth was I doing! How could I have let this happen? "Last night was bad enough, but this? You don't even know who I am. You are a princess. We cannot engage in this sort of clandestine behavior. It's not just improper. It's...it's..." But that was as far as my tirade got because I finally noticed something.

Princess Jasmine was looking at me, looking at me with her eyes which were very much open. Her normally brown irises were dark with a desire which colored her words. "Oh no, don't stop," she said in a slightly husky voice. "Continue explaining why I can't kiss you, Prince Dhiren. It's very...enlightening."

I gaped at her.

"Or do you actually prefer Ren? I must say I'm not calling you Rajah. Rajaram perhaps but even that seems a little too formal considering our history, wouldn't you say?" Her expression was seemingly guileless except for her nearly black eyes which twinkled wickedly.

"You-You know who I am?" I rasped. "But h-how? What?"

"Come now, Dhiren. Even you must have heard of true love's kiss before."

Of course I had, but...

My head was spinning.

"That's what I wanted to tell you yesterday." She reached up and gently stroked my cheek. The warm sensation of that simple touch added on yet another layer of confusion. I could barely hear Jasmine as she said in a caressing voice as tender as her touch, "I love you, Dhiren. I love you and I want to be with you for the rest of our days."

Then Princess Jasmine leaned forward to kiss me again.

I let it happen. I was far too stunned to resist.