Sixty-one

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I was standing in a dark room now, water lapping at my feet. I couldn't see anyone around me, but I could hear voices. 

"She could have brain damage. Nancy said she hit the wall pretty hard." Lucas' voice warped around me. 

"Lucas!" Max scolded. "She's fine, Mike. She's just been through a lot and was exhausted. She'll wake up." I could hear Mike scoff. 

"Well, it doesn't help that El can't find anyone we know is flayed. How do they drop off the map like that? All that sacrifice, and for what?" Mike questioned, and I felt something brush through my hair as he spoke. Slowly, my hair was shifted into a braid, and I realized everything I felt in this moment was just an extension of reality. 

"Maybe (y/n) will know when she wakes up?" Will spoke up.

"Yeah, but you heard her. She doesn't like having to be a connection between two worlds. And the Mind Flayer wants her to be apart of his army, so that doesn't exactly make me feel better." Mike argued. I sighed through my nose. I needed to wake up. 

I laid on the ground, letting the water soak my clothes as I sat there for a moment, then I shifted to lay on my side. Maybe I could force myself to wake up through reenacting my reality? So lay there for a moment, shutting my eyes. I let out another breath as the water lapped against my arm. 

"That's right. Go back to your reality. You always seem to be avoiding what is key to your growth." I jolted up, eyes opening. I found myself face-to-face with Billy. I swallowed, not knowing what to say. He gently reached out, brushing a finger against my neck. "That's quite the mark Bruce left. Wish I had thought of it first. Using your vines against you." I pushed Billy's hands away, scrambling up. 

"Go away." My voice rasped. Billy gave me a smile. 

"You know I won't." The echoes of the others surrounded us. 

"So what do you want?" I questioned. Billy shook his head and stood up, slowly circling me. 

"To find you, of course. After... well you don't need to worry about after." Billy told me. The area around us was slowly beginning to brighten up. 

"Then why don't you?" I asked and Billy sighed, pausing to the right of me. 

"The same way you can't track me. What's blocking you is blocking me. It's why you only know what areas feel 'bad' but not pinpoint where I am." Billy explained. I frowned, staring at him. 

"And that's why you want to me to visit those memories so much. So there's no block." Billy huffed a laugh, waving a finger at me as he continued to walk.

"You're smart. I'll give you that. You're also strong, but on the other hand, you're too vulnerable. But I guess every host has had their flaws. Will... well you know about him. And Billy, well he- he's good at hiding everything. But in truth?" Billy laughed, shaking his head. "And then you. You're scared all the time, and when you're not scared, you're too emotionally... open. But we'll fix that, together, we will." Billy stopped walking again and knelt down in front of me. His hand reached over, a swift movement. His fingers pressed into my cheekbones, gripping my face with one hand. "We'll fix you and the other one. El." I shook my head, trying to pull away. 

"No. No. Get off." I shoved against his hold, falling back. Billy's face disappeared in a blur, then I was under the water instead of hitting the floor. The area around me went dark, no exit. I yelled out, hearing nothing as I clawed up, feeling my lungs ache for air. I grasped the water around me and-