Seventeen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

 "This is a big school." I murmured, holding tightly onto Mike's hand as we approached our new school, Hawkins Middle. Mike nodded in agreement. 

"Yeah." I felt him tug me towards his direction. I looked at him, furrowing my brows in confusion as he quickly caught me, but Mike didn't return my look. I heard someone hit the ground behind me with grunt, though it sounded more out of surprise than pain. I pulled myself from Mike's hold to look. On the ground where I had been moments before was a boy with bronze curly hair. He looked up at me and Mike with a glare. Troy appeared by him. 

"Get up you idiot." Troy seethed down to the boy on the ground, and the boy scrambled up and quickly stood at Troy's side. He was slightly taller than Troy. Once the boy was up, Troy looked back at Mike and me. "Mute, Frogface." He nodded his head at us as if he was greeting old friends. 

"What do you want, Troy?" Mike asked, clenching my hand a little tighter. Troy shrugged. 

"Just want to have a little chit-chat with the knight in shining armor and his damsel in distress." Troy said with a sneer. This time I foresaw his intentions before Mike did and I pulled Mike out of the way. Troy stumbled as the push he had meant to be for Mike went out to thin air. "Bitch." Troy looked back at me after composing himself. "Who do you think you are?" It was silent for a moment and Mike looked at me, then at Troy, as if he was expecting something to happen. After a moment, Troy laughed. "What'd I tell you, James? She is mute. Absolutely-" I frowned. 

"I am (y/n). I am not a damsel in distress. I can have a knight without being in distress. I can talk now you asshole and right now, I am not the person to mess with." Suddenly, I realized how I had pulled my hand from Mike's and now I was clenching my fists at my side. I also realized  how sweaty my hands were, how uneven my breaths had become, and how close I was to Troy in my anger. I stepped back, pulling myself back together as more students showed up at the school. Troy stared at me with wide eyes. James, looked very confused as he glanced to Troy. 

"You..." He looked at James, bewildered. "She..." He looked back at me and Mike. "This bitch can talk?" He gestured his hand out to me. I opened my mouth to say something, but before I could Mike was marching forward, then Troy was stumbling backwards. "Aw! What the- Frogface!" Troy had a hand over his mouth and I saw blood dribble between the cracks of his fingers. 

"We gotta go." I grabbed Mike's hand and took off, pulling him with me towards the school and leaving Troy behind us. 

                                                                                   ~ Time Skip ~

"You two are gonna get us in big trouble one day, you know that?" Lucas whispered, gesturing to me and Mike as he leaned across the table. Will and Dustin were at his side. 

"He's right." Dustin nodded his head, a frown on his face. Mike huffed a breath. 

"I couldn't help it! He just called (y/n) a bitch and I just... reacted." Mike ran a hand through his hair, and then it fell back down in a messy puff. 

"I'm not surprised." Will stated, sitting back. "It has happened before. Sort of. In second grade, when Troy punched Mike, and Mike was and is always standing up for her, even though it only proves to make Troy more annoyed. (y/n) and Mike hitting him is more his fault than ours. He should know by now. They defend each other. That is how it is always gonna be." He picked up his sandwich and took a bite.

~ Time Skip ~

"No, no, Dustin, you have it all wrong. Mr. Kollingham is way better at teaching math than Miss... whatever her name was." Lucas said as we all walked down the hall. It was the end of our school day and Lucas and Dustin went right into bickering. 

"Ahem, it is Ms. Carlington, and you're the one who has it all wrong. She-" I began to tune them out as I grabbed Mike's hand and linked my other arm with Will. 

"They always seem to fight lately." Will whispered. I shrugged. 

"Maybe it's cause they can relate to each other so much. You know, while Lucas does have Erica, neither of them have an older sibling in the house. I mean, Dustin's sister is older, but she moved out, remember?" Will hummed.

"Neither do you." Will winced after the comment came out of his mouth. "I'm sorry. That sounded harsh." 

"No worries, Will." I shrugged as I tried keep the hurt at bay. I had Nancy and Holly. They were like my sisters and they were the best I could ask for. 

I turned back to look at Dustin and Lucas. They were gently shoving each other through their bickering now. I was ready to say something that would draw them apart, but then the were roughly pushed and both fell to the ground. They looked up to see Troy pass through them. I moved out of the way as he moved passed us too. I scowled as he looked back at us, made eye contact with me, and winked. James followed him as they went. I scrunched my face up as my arm link with Will fell. I heard Mike scoff as he moved in front of me and I could tell he was tense. Dustin and Lucas got up and brushed themselves before joining us. 

"What a douche bag." Lucas commented and I nodded, touching Mike's shoulder gently as I did so.  He  was  tense. 

"Hey Mikey, why don't we keep going? I don't wanna find out what he might try to do once there is a lesser crowd." Mike's frown deepened. 

"If he tried anything I'd beat his-" I bit my lip, trying to find a way to calm him before I sighed, nodding. 

"I know Mike, I know." I kissed his cheek. Surprise came onto his facial features along with a quickly spreading blush. "You'd kick his ass, but we should refrain from you being suspended or expelled on the first day of school, alright? You already punched him once today." He nodded with a blank look on his face and I smiled. "Come on boys! We have a campaign to plan!" I pulled Mike along and I knew the other boys would be following behind him, but I couldn't push this feeling away from me. A sick feeling churning in my stomach as Troy turning around with a cut and bruised mouth, winking at me began to replay again and again in my head.

      Author's Note: Hey guys! I am so sorry for the late update! I'm not sure how many of you saw the note I posted on my board but I've just been so caught up with school and things similar to that that I haven't (sadly) been able to write as much. I've been getting a lot more school work than usual which is the main problem. I hope it all settles down soon so I can post more. Thank you all for the incredibly kind comments you leave on my page and stories. I hope to update again soon. Also, do you think they met Eleven in 6th grade or no? I thought it was 6th grade when in the show but I wanted to ask your outlook on it. Thank you! (As a side not, you are obviously now in 6th grade, I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page for that.) I hope you all have an amazing day/night! :)

Original Publish Date: February 20, 2018