One

~ Karen's P.O.V. ~

"Park?" I looked up from my magazine, seeing Michael look at me with large brown eyes. His toy train that he previously had been playing with was frozen in the air. "Please Momma." Michael's lip pouted out in a look only a toddler could make. I sighed, smiling lightly at him.

"Go get your shoes. I'll go get Nancy." I put my magazine aside, pushing off of the couch and walking to Nancy's room. I gently knocked on the door before pushing it open. On the floor Nancy lay on her stomach coloring what looked to be flowers on paper.

"Hey Nancy, do you want to go to the park for a little bit?" Nancy looked up, smile wide as she nodded. Her curled pigtails shook with her nod.

"Yes!" Nancy scrambled up for her shoes in her closet. Down the hall Michael called for me. I walked to him, kneeling down to put on his shoes, then I went to put on my own.

~

Nancy bounced over cracks in the side walk as I pushed Michael towards the park in his stroller. When the park came into view, Nancy ran towards it, leaving Michael and me behind her. Michael jumped against the straps of his seat, shaking his stroller.

"Calm down Michael. We're almost there." I huffed a laugh. As we got closer to the park, we could see another mom with her own daughter across the park. The little girl had (h/c) pigtails and was walking along one of the platforms while holding her mom's hand. "Someone else is here to play with you." Michael looked around as I unbuckled him from his seat, picking him up.

"Where Momma?" I pointed to the little girl, walking towards her and her mom. Michael held onto the sleeves of my shirt.

"Play! Play!" The mom looked up at us, pointing out to me and Michael to her daughter as we got to the same platform they were at. I placed Michael down, watching as the little girl's mom let her hand go, gesturing for her to play.

~

The mother and I talked as Michael and the little girl played together. I learned her name was (y/m/n) and the little girl was (y/n).

"Mike! Mike!" (y/n) giggled from one of the play steps. They were playing hide and seek and (y/n) was the seeker. Michael laughed from under one of the slides before slapping a hand over his mouth as she toddled down the steps. "Mike?" Beside me (y/m/n) hummed.

"You know, (y/n) never has been a talker." I looked to her.

"I mean Nancy was quiet as baby too, didn't say very much. Sometimes it's natural." (y/m/n) shrugged.

"I guess so. But your son's name is the second word I've ever heard her say, and the first is 'mom.'" I watched with a frown as (y/n) snuck behind Michael wrapping her small arms around him.

"Have you seen any doctors?"

"They're not very helpful. They tell me she may just be behind in talking, that it happens with children sometimes, but I don't know. She just... can't." Michael pulled (y/n) to the ground and they lay there laughing. "We should probably go. Her uncle is coming to our house soon and (y/n) needs her nap." I nodded, watching the two toddlers push themselves up, brushing wood chips off of each other.

"Michael, Nancy! It's time to go." Michael looked up in horror, pouting at me.

"No! Momma! I don't wanna leave (y/n)!" I walked to Micahel and knelt down beside him.

"I know, but we can play another time." Beside me, (y/m/n) came and picked up (y/n) before she could pull away.

"She's right, we got to go before Uncle G comes to visit." (y/n) pouted.

"Mike." (y/n) pointed and reached down. Michael reached up, but I caught him, picking him up as well.

"Like she said, we'll play another time." (y/m/n)'s voice was soft as she held (y/n) close to her. Michael looked up to me, hands scrunching the fabric of my shirt again.

"Tomorrow?" I looked to (y/m/n), seeing her small nod, then I looked at Michael.

"Yes, I promise. Pinky." I held up my pinky and Michael wrapped his small pinky around mine. Michael looked back at (y/n) sadly.

"Bye bye. I love you." I smiled when (y/n) waved back, curling her middle and ring finger down so her thumb, index, and pinky was left standing, and she turned her wrist slightly back and forth.

"That means she loves you too." I whispered to Michael and (y/m/n) walked away, a smile on her face as she waved to us. Nancy hopped down off of the playground to be beside me. Sweat glistened on her forehead. I walked her and Michael towards his stroller, quickly buckling him in. I could see him tiredly looking after (y/n), blinking slow. I could feel my heart ache at the look in his eyes. This was only the first time they met, yet they made it feel as if it would be the last.

Author's Note: So this is one of the imagines from my imagine book that I really like and I've decided to make it a book, so I hope you like it! I hope you all have a good day as well! :)

Original Publish Date: April 16, 2017