Forty-two

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I woke up, feeling- knowing- that something was wrong. I could sense the workers that drove up in a rush to the lab, not able to park the car correctly, and they take someone out- someone screaming. A whole mass of people surrounded this person as they ran into the building. As soon as they were inside, I lost track of them.

Beside the hospital bed was an empty chair, and in the corner was another chair that held Dr. Garridan. After the rescue of Hopper being radioed in, Dr. Garridan had thanked me, as well as apologized several times for me being hurt. I couldn't find it in me to be angry at him, though. He seemed to have sympathy and care in a way the other lab workers never did. Before he was head of my case, someone else was. I didn't know them enough to remember their name, but I remember the way they pushed me, even when I had nothing to show, and the repercussions if I couldn't do something right. They were there for three months before Dr. Owen switched Dr. Garridan from being someone who observed my case to being the head of it.  

I moved my eyes away from Dr. Garridan to the bandage on my arm. I had watched Dr. Garridan change my bandage twice so far. He was worried that since this wound was caused by something abnormal, that I could get infections abnormally quicker or easier. He reminded me of my mom, how she always used to hover over me when I got hurt, except now he was asleep and he didn't hover. Other than the burn injury, nothing else seemed to be wrong with me. I didn't seem to still be connected to the gate or the Upside Down like Will was according to Dr. Owen. They both told me after my injury heals up I should be fine. After reassuring me I'd be fine and Dr. Owen left, Dr. Garridan promised that I would never try a connection with the gate or the Upside Down again.

"Dr. Garridan-" A woman burst through the door, barely giving me a second look as she turned to wake him. "Dr. Garridan, it's an emergency. You are needed." Dr. Garridan rubbed the back of his neck, probably regretting the uncomfortable position he had fallen asleep in, then he looked at me, then back at the nurse.

"What time is it? What code is it?" His voice was slow and groggy. 

"Code 9455? Code Unknown? Undecided? I don't know, but you have to hurry. Dr. Owen needs your help." Dr. Garridan's eyes widened, only a little, then he looked at me.

"Twelve, I will be right back. I'll have nurses come in and check on you and your bandage soon." He was gone before I could reply.

~ Mike's P.O.V. ~

My head shot up when the door opened, but instead of Joyce walking in, it was another doctor instead. 

"Hello." The man gave me a small strained smile as he walked over to Will. "Has he been doing alright since Joyce and Dr. Owen left?" I stood up, watching as he lifted Will's hand.

"He's been fine. Not moving. They gave him this little shot thing? He's been out since." Bob's spoke fast, and I could tell the situation Will was in made him nervous. He hadn't known a thing before this.

"Nurses say he experienced a burning sensation. He was screaming, but he doesn't appear to have any burns." I shrugged as the doctor mumbled to himself.

"What's it to you? Dr. Owen already checked him out." I question and the man shrugged.

"Nothing, just looking for similarities." I was quiet. Similarities? Has this happened before?

"This has happened before? Is this like a disease going around?" Bob voiced my thoughts. The man froze, looking at both me and Bob, guilt in his eyes.