Forty-nine

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

~ Time Skip from last chapter ~

I waited with Hopper in the elevator as we moved up to the fifth floor. In my hands I held a small pot with some purple peonies that I helped regrow with my powers. They were a small group from the ones I had gotten years ago for my birthday from my Uncle G... Dr. Garridan. God, I should've put that together sooner.

"I don't want you to... be upset when you see him." Hopper started as I stared down at the peonies I was holding. "He was hurt badly in the lab, but he is alive. That doesn't mean you should get angry at him or question him. I know it might be hard after your mom's disappearance, but we found out he is your only nearby relative we could find, so give him a chance." I nodded. Dr. Garridan had been left in the hospital for a week now since getting him out of the lab. He hadn't been allowed any visitors until yesterday, but Hopper told me yesterday was spent in cop interviews, as well as the few reporters that snuck in.

"I won't. I doubt he'd know much about where my mom went anyway." Nancy had called the cops after the figure ran. Hopper was the second cop to show up as response to the call. After procedure questioning, Hopper advised Mike and Nancy to take me away before everyone else showed up. They haven't let me take anything from my house since then, still investigating and searching for clues on my mom's whereabouts and what all the papers she had pulled out meant.

"We'll find your mom, kid. We found Will, we found you, we'll find her." Hopper pat at my shoulders as the elevator doors opened. Hopper led me down the hall and to the right.

"Room 512. How funny." I whispered as Hopper opened the door. He gave me a look, but said nothing.

"Good morning, Dr. Garridan." Hopper stepped aside to let me in the room, then closed the door behind us. Dr. Garridan looked at me.

"Hopper told me you know." Dr. Garridan's voice sounded gruff. I held out my small pot with the couple of flowers in it and walked closer to him.

"I brought you this in hopes it would liven up your room." My voice was softer than intended as I set the pot at his bedside. I stared at him for a moment. His arm was still in a cast from when I broke it. A flash of guilt hit me as I studied the bandage that wrapped along his other arm and leg.

"How bad did they get you? The dogs, I mean."

"Just a few scratches I suppose. Nothing too life threatening." Dr. Garridan shrugged his shoulders. 

"And yet, you're still in the hospital. Dr. Owen got to leave only two days after arriving here. I saw his injury, Dr. Garridan, and I'd say his was more than just a scratch. Where were you?" His smile at me was small and sad.

"I was stationed in the control room that connected to your room. I wanted to open the doors for you when it was safe, but the power went out before I could. Dr. Owen got you out, he asked Bob to open your door, at least that is what he told me. I saw the rest on tape. I'm sorry." I walked across the room to the window, looking out at the surrounding buildings.

"Did they get you before or after the power went out?"

"My leg was before, one of them jumped me just as lights went out. A soldier came by and shot at it, and he became the more interesting prey. My arm was right before I found Dr. Owen. I had the gun. So one of the dogs attacked me first, but it left. I found later that you were why it left, when you were with...." Dr. Garridan cleared his throat, and I turned to look at him. He was looking away from me. "I found Dr. Owen on the stairwell. I passed out before Hopper came." I played with the locket around my neck and kept silent. Dr. Garridan sighed, looking back to me. "Don't you want to talk about it, (y/n)? Are you going to push for more than information on the injuries I got in the lab?"