Thirteen

Warning: There is some slurs/name calling in this chapter and I apologize if they make you feel uncomfortable. There is also discussion implying a topic that may be sensitive to some people, and I just wanted to let you guys know that before you started reading. 

~ Dustin's P.O.V. ~

I walked out the door, going to my garage for my bike. There by the garage entrance was (y/n) with her bike. She gave a slight wave. 

"Hi Dustin." I opened the garage door and grabbed my bike, then moved it towards where (y/n) was. 

"Hey (y/n). Where's Mike?" She picked at the basket on the front of her bike. 

"Doctor." I tilted my head.  

"Is it his flu?" I questioned. She nodded. 

"It's gone but-" She sighed in frustration, lifting her hands. "His mom wants to make sure. He might come into school later today, but we don't know yet. It's a wonder I didn't catch anything."  I nodded at her reply, pushing up my kickstand. It had been three months since I started working on (y/n)'s speech with her, and each time she gets better. She's made a lot of progress from where she started with and I was proud of her for it because I knew she was trying hard as well as how much she struggled with talking sometimes.

"I see you've been practicing." (y/n) shrugged, pushing her bike kickstand up as well. "You're getting better. Before you could barely say my name." She shrugged her shoulders again, giving me a small smile of appreciation for the compliment, then she swung a leg over her bike and got on, gesturing for me to follow her as she started to pull away from my house. 

~

 "Is it just me, or does something feel different?" I questioned quietly as we got off our bikes. I quickly chained my bike, glancing around as (y/n) did the same. She shook her head at my question.

"Not just you." She murmured as we walked towards the school doors. A few of the kids looked up in fear, but relaxed upon seeing (y/n) and me. "This is super weird." (y/n) pushed closer to me as a few kids shoved passed her, making a point not to look at either of us. (y/n) frowned as we made our way to our first class. When we sat down, a lot of the kids were oddly quiet, shifting in their seats but saying nothing. Some glanced at (y/n), which only made her frown deepen, but she said nothing else as class began. 

~

"(y/n)!" We both turned at the sound of Will's voice. His eyes were wide with fear as he ran to us. We were now after third period and supposed to be heading to lunch, so I wasn't completely sure why Will was running away from the lunchroom. "It's Troy." Will gulped down air, gripping at (y/n)'s arm. "Troy, he's-"

"Well, well, well. I can't say I didn't expect to see you here, Mute, Faggot." (y/n) froze at my side and Will turned in his spot to reveal a kid that seemed taller than us with shaggy brown hair. I assumed this was Troy. Two other boys were with him. "I was actually looking for the both of you, but you, you're a new one." Troy turned to me. "What's your name, freak?" I stared for a moment, frowning at the way he looked at us.  

"My name is Dustin." Troy laughed. 

"Why does your voice sound so funny?" The way he spoke mocked my lisp as he leaned forward. For a moment, I understood why (y/n) punched him when they were kids. 

"I have this condition called-" A kid from behind Troy interrupted me. 

"Look! He's got no teeth!" Troy's smiled widened.