Nineteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

"Oh shit. (y/n)? Please wake up. Fuck! I shouldn't have left you alone, come on, please." Someone was shaking me and my eyes felt heavy, but I slowly pulled them open to look at the person in front of me. My head was pounding and my eyesight was still coming into focus but I quickly picked out the brown hair. Jay

"That's a bad word you know." My voice was soft, barely a murmur, but Jay heard me and laughed. He pulled me into a hug.  

"Thank God. Thank God you're okay." I grunted in response, taking a lot of effort to lift my hand up and pat his back before he pulled away, holding my shoulders. "What the hell happened here? Everything is..." Jay glanced around. I winced as I tried to sit myself up further. I could feel the mold my body had put into the wall behind me when I was slammed into it. 

"These people broke in chasing someone. I don't know who, but the person, they made one of them hit that wall and then threw the other one through here and... the third one ran? I don't know. I got knocked out after that." My voice kept cracking as I talked.

"Do you know what any of them looked like?" I shook my head, but then immediately regretted it as a wave of dizziness hit me. 

"The lights, they got cut off." Jay sighed, leaning back on his heels. 

"I'm not sure I'm fully following your story. What the hell did they do to open the doors like that? Have you seen the doors? I thought you had been taken or killed, I don't know. I wanted to be here sooner but the traffic... The Hawkins Power and Light kept it all backed up. Maybe that's why your mom isn't here?" Jay slammed one of his palms to his head. "I'm sorry (y/n). I should've been here." I weakly waved a hand.  

"I don't think it would've made a difference." Jay opened his mouth to retort as my eyes fluttered. Somewhere down the hall, a voice cut him off. 

"What happened here?" Then another voice joined in, sounding more panicked than the other one. 

"(y/n)?! (y/n)?!" I looked up, staring down the dark hallway. 

"Mike." I tried to yell back to him but my voice cracked and fell silent. Jay looked at me sympathetically and full of concern, then turned to call down the hall. 

"We're down here. I think she needs to go to the hospital." Two silhouettes came running down the hallway and it took me a moment to realize the second figure with Mike was Karen.  Mike ran to me, sliding on his knees as he came closer. 

"The phone cut out and I tried calling back, but you didn't answer and your home phone wasn't working like you said. I got so worried and Mom drove me here to check on you and- and- what the hell happened?" I gently shook my head, leaning my head back. Jay sighed, looking around us again.

"She said some people broke in chasing someone. I don't know who those people are but the way they opened that door, it isn't natural. Nothing about this is."

~ Mike's P.O.V. ~

As soon as Jay finished his sentence, (y/n) closed her eyes and her head fell forward. 

"No, no. (y/n), don't close you eyes. Come on, stay with me." I grabbed her face and gently lifted it up as she opened her eyes again. "There we go. You have to stay awake for me, alright?" She blinked at me, looking dazed.

"Yeah... alright." I huffed, holding her shoulders. "Okay, well, you can't walk so we can have Jay carry you, okay?" (y/n) frowned, shaking her head, but I sighed and pushed back so Jay could get her. I glanced back at Mom. 

"Can you start the car? So it's ready when we get out there?" Mom turned her eyes to me, looking a little dazed and confused as she nodded, then she ran down the hall. I faced Jay again after Mom was gone.