Forty-eight

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

"Go, go, go!" Steve turned, pushing at us. Dustin and Mike turned, helping me run forward. Underneath my feet, the thrum of the tunnels seemed to get stronger.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God." Dustin tried to hop over something, causing us to stumble. Something shot out behind us, slid against my leg and pulled. I let out a yell as I clung to Mike and Dustin, but then Mike fell out from beside me, causing me to go down as well.

"Mike!" I slid across the floor as whatever held onto my leg dragged me. I reached out my hand and grabbed onto a ridge in the tunnel floor. Dustin paused between me and Mike. Lucas ran to Mike, so Dustin ran to me. He grabbed onto my hand and pulled, grunting. I closed my eyes and concentrated. These tunnels are surrounded by dirt on top, so below they should also be. I focused on growing a vine over what held onto Mike first. I opened my eyes slightly when I felt a yank on my other arm. It was Max. A vine was crawling over the surface of the creature that held onto Mike. I squeezed my hand into a fist, causing the vine to squeeze as well. I heard a small scream come from the creature, before it let go of him, slithering away. I squeezed harder, digging my nails into my palm until the creature popped.

Mike stared at the space in front of him for a moment, before looking at me as Steve rushed over. Mike scrambled up, trying to grab one of my hands, but something grabbed onto my other leg and yanked on me, pulling me out of Max and Dustin's grasp.

"(y/n)!" I tried to focus on another vine, but I was being dragged too fast. I screamed, digging at the tunnel ground, until I latched onto another ridge. Mike was the first to catch up to me, and he wrapped an arm around me and began to pull. Dustin grabbed one of my arms, pulling, then Max and Lucas grabbed at my other arm.

"Everybody back!" Steve rushed passed, his nail bat. He hit at the ground and at the creatures pulling at me. Steve hit again and again until the pulling on me from the creatures stopped with a high scream.

"Thanks." I whispered as I stumbled up with everyone's pull. Mike immediately held me close to him in a hug. "I'm okay." I told him quietly, but he ignored me.

"Guys, we gotta go!" Steve yelled. I nodded, pushing out of Mike's hold, but a loud growl caused him to pull me back in. In front of us stood one of the Demodogs. The rest of us backed away, but Dustin walked close to it.

"Dart." Dustin's voice was firm as he walked closer to the Demodog. Simultaneously, everyone tried to get him to step back, but he shushed all of us. "Shh. Stop. Trust me, please." Dart walked closer to Dustin.

"Hey, it's me, it's me. It's just your friend, it's Dustin. It's Dustin, all right? You remember me?" Dart let out a mix of a purr and a growl. Dart and Dustin were almost face to face. Dustin moved his goggles up his face and pushed the cloth down.

"Will you let us pass?" In reply, Dart opened his mouth and growled. I stepped back into Mike. I wanted to help, but this was Dustin's friend as he described to me in his story of what I missed, despite Dart eating his cat, and I didn't want to break Dustin's trust, nor cause Dart to jump forward and hurt Dustin.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the storm cellar." Dart closed his mouth and lowered his head. "That was a pretty douchey thing to do." Dustin paused, reaching back for his bag. "You hungry? Yeah?" He slipped the bag off.

"He's insane." Lucas whispered. Mike hit him with one hand.

"Don't."

"Shut up, all of you." Steve whispered to us, holding his bat in front of him.