Seventy-five

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I stood by Chrissy at the end of the bleachers as the basketball players ran out. My pom-poms were held in the air. The crowd around us was cheering as the band played, almost like earlier this afternoon.

"Let's go, Tigers!" I chanted with the other cheerleaders as we shook our poms, then repeated ourselves. On the court, the players warmed up by passing the ball to one another. I could see Lucas from here, bouncing on his feet. I knew he was nervous, despite being benched majority of the time as Mike pointed out earlier. At any time he could be thrown in, and especially since this was their last game of the season, that made it all the more nerve-wracking.

"Everyone now please rise for our national anthem." Our principal spoke into the mic set in the middle of the court. The crowd was quick to become quiet at the command as they followed it, and the band's music cut off. The cheerleaders collectively put their arms down, and I followed suit, moving to have one hand over my chest and one at my side.

"Singing for us tonight, we have a very special guest. All the way from Nashville, our very own Tammy Thompson!" My jaw dropped at the anouncement, and I immediately turned my head, looking for Steve as the crowd clapped and Tammy walked out. I hadn't been told the context of the conversation, but he had recounted some of his conversation with Robin about Tammy and how she "sounded like a muppet when she sang". I hadn't been sure who he was talking about at the time, but his impression was one that cheered me up every time he did it.

"Go, Tammy!" Someone shouted from the crowd as she waved to everyone. After this, I found Steve turning his head to look at me, a look of equal surprise and humor on his features. I had to cover my mouth, stifling a laugh before she began singing. During this, the basketball players lined up in front of us, copying the cheerleaders stance. Lucas stood in front of me, shifting on his feet.

"We love you, Tammy!" Another student cried out as I faced forward again and she gripped the mic. Then she began to sing. In the first line alone, static and feedback covered up her voice as she tried to reach the higher notes of the first line. This continued for the rest of the song, and I had to avoid looking back at Steve so I wouldn't laugh. The mic continued squealing from feedback with each line, a sound that rivalled Tammy as she sang.

Towards the end, I noticed Lucas looking back, then how his face fell in disappointment. His eyes met mine after, and he seemed relieved in at least seeing I was there, even if it was partially based on a requirement. I knew I likely would've come anyway, seeing as this was so important to him. When the song was finished, and the principal took back over the mic, thanking Tammy, I leaned forward next to Lucas.

"Good luck. I know you're gonna do great." I murmured. Lucas gave a slight nod, showing he heard me, so I stepped back to where I was again. Soon enough, the game was starting and Lucas wasn't put out in the court. But that didn't matter. We still had time to fit him in, he still had a chance to do something.

~

My throat was beginning to hurt from the constant cheering, and my feet ached, but I still watched the game with wide eyes as I clenched my pom-poms in tight hands. Earlier on, one of the players was hurt and Lucas was finally put in to play. So far, this was the closest game we had of the season, and we all anxiously watched as the scores moved up at a neck and neck pace.

Now, nearing the end of the game, Jason was the one with the ball. He took his shot, and I watched, faltering in waving my poms as I watched the ball. My gut coiled as the ball circled the rim and bounced out again. Players from the other team tried to catch it, but Lucas was the first to move. He caught the ball, pulling it close as he broke from the other team's hold. He backtracked on the court, dribbling the ball as he went.