Twenty-three

~ Mike's P.O.V. ~

I woke up to find (y/n) wasn't in bed. I turned, briefly looking at the clock on my bedside table. It was ten minutes before I usually woke up. I let out a groan, wanting to roll over in bed and go back to sleep, but I could faintly hear (y/n)'s voice down stairs. She was probably talking to my mom. I forced myself to sit up, then get out of bed, briefly hearing (y/n)'s laugh downstairs. I smiled, then quickly found clothes to wear for the day and changed. 

When I came downstairs, I almost ran into (y/n). She was bringing a plate of Eggos to the table. She gave me a small smile. "There is some here for El too." She mouthed to me and I nodded. Both of us sat down with the rest of my family. (y/n) slowly ate while I quickly shoved my food in my mouth. I was anxious to get food to Eleven before sending her to whatever Mom would do with her. 

"Slow down, Mike. That's disgusting." Nancy commented and I looked at her. 

"Do a lot of studying last night?" Nancy gave me a look of annoyance. 

"Yeah, actually, I did." I squinted my eyes at her. 

"What was your test on? Human anatomy?" (y/n) dropped her fork in surprise, looking at me with wide eyes. Nancy ignored (y/n)'s reaction and glared at me, then kicked me. I kicked her right back.

"Hey, what's going on?" Mom asked us and we both faced her, shaking our head.

"Nothing." Nancy and I answered quickly. I saw (y/n) scoot out of her seat. 

"I'm gonna get all my school stuff from the basement." Mom nodded.

"Alright, just be quick dear. You'll have to leave soon." (y/n) nodded and quickly left. When I finished eating, I put my plate in the sink and then went down the basement stairs. When I got down, (y/n) was already talking to El.  I walked over to the tent. 

"Hey, she found my Supercomm." (y/n) nodded. 

"She already ate the Eggos I gave her. She seems to like them a lot." I sat down by (y/n) outside of the tent. 

"So listen, this is gonna sound a little weird," I looked at (y/n), remembering she hadn't heard of the plan, and then at El. "But I just need you to go out there. Then go to the front door and ring the doorbell. My mom will answer and you'll tell her that you're lost and that you need help. But whatever you do, you can't tell her about last night or that you know me and (y/n). Understand?" El stared at me with a blank face. "Really, it's no big deal. We'll just pretend to meet again. And my mom, she'll know who to call." It was quiet for a moment. 

"No." El answered simply, in a low voice. 

"No?" (y/n) looked confused, her nose scrunching up. El shook her head and repeated herself. "You don't want us to get help?" (y/n)'s voice was gentle. El shook her head. A sudden understanding came onto (y/n)'s face. "You're in trouble." It was more of a statement than a question. El looked at her sadly. 

"Who... Who are you in trouble with?" I asked, not understanding as (y/n) looked away. 

"Bad." El answered. 

"Bad? Bad people?" I pressed and El nodded. A heavy feeling came over me. 

"They want to hurt you? The bad people?" (y/n) whispered and El put a finger gun at her own head, then at me, then as (y/n). (y/n) got up from beside me and walked to where the couch was. She sat down but didn't look at me. There was something she wasn't telling me. That only made everything seem heavier. 

~

"There's something you're not telling me." I whispered to (y/n) as we hid behind bushes, waiting for my parents to leave. She didn't answer but looked at my with a guilty look on her face. "You can tell me anything, you know that, right?" She nodded, slow.