Six

~ Mike's P.O.V. ~

I held (y/n)'s hand as we walked through the door of our second grade classroom. A lot of the kids were here, some gave us brief glances, but none of them showed any interest. Kids had slowly stopped messing with us over the past two years and left us alone for the most part. I didn't mind being friends with just (y/n). I would do anything for her, and if kids don't want to like her, they don't have to like me either.

After me and (y/n) had put our supplies where they needed to be and sat down, a small kid came to us. He had brown hair in the shape of a bowl cut. His thin fingers tapped against his leg as he bit his lip nervously. 

"H-Hi." He choked out. I smiled. 

"Hi." I responded back and (y/n) gave a small wave. 

"I... I'm Will. I think a lot of kids don't like me and I kind of hear the same is for you two. I thought that maybe we could be friends." Will clenched at his backpack straps tightly. I looked at (y/n) and she nodded. I looked back at Will and smiled. 

"Sure! My name is Michael, but most people call me Mike for short. This is (y/n). She can't say many words but she is very nice." Will smiled and put his bag on a desk near us. 

"It's nice to meet you guys. My very first friends."

~

Today had been going good with Will so far. We had done all of our morning classes and activities, lunch, and now we were at recess. I was pushing (y/n) on the swing and Will was on the swing beside her. He was talking to her about drawing. She was making conversation back to him by signing. Most of the time I spent translating, but I didn't mind. 

"Hello Mute. Frogface." (y/n) was stopped mid-swing and then pushed off. I quickly caught her as she fell backwards and the kid who had pushed her smirked. 

"Her name isn't Mute and mine isn't Frogface!" I cried out and he smiled. Will had slowed to a stop, frozen in the swing seat. 

"It is now." (y/n) pouted as I held her next to me. "Aww, is the baby gonna cry?" The kid stepped forward, two kids following behind him with smiles. As they moved forward, I pushed her behind me. One of the kids following behind the main bully grabbed Will and threw him towards us.

"Go join the weirdo fest, loser." I frowned as (y/n) helped Will up, she looked up at me, seeming scared and clueless on what to do. I looked back to the three bullies. 

"Leave her alone. Leave us alone." The original bully, the one that had pushed (y/n) off, stepped forward again. 

"Or what? Are you her knight in shining armor, Frogface?" I straightened my back and looked at him. I set my jaw.

"I will be if I have to." The boy quirked an eyebrow. 

"Oh yeah?" He lifted his hands and before I could react, I was on the ground. 

"Mikey!" (y/n) cried out, kneeling down at my side. 

"So she speaks." The boy spat towards us. "Where is the knight in shining armor now?" Then the three of them walked away laughing. (y/n) and Will helped me up. 

"That's Troy and his goons." Will told me quietly. "Troy is a grade above us, the other two are in the same grade." I huffed a breath in response. 

"Well, they aren't very nice." Will nodded as the teachers called for us to come inside. 

Later, as we waited for Mom to come get us, (y/n) helped pick off the wood chips from mine and Will's backs that had gone unnoticed earlier. Just as she had finished, both my mom and Will's mom pulled up.