Chapter 15

Its the end of the month which means time to settle all the bills so here I am currently sitting on the breakfast counter with loads of bills surrounding me while I try to sort them out as Kiara naps in the room. 

"The apartment i managed to buy a couple months back so that eliminates the rent I usually had to pay 

water bill, light bill check" I tick mark on my diary as I cross the bills and put them in the bin. 

"Groceries need to be filled" taking a glance around my kitchen.  

"Mrs. Smith needs to be paid" I remember as she is back my work has become lots easier.

I managed to accumulate quiet an amount of savings and finally am on the lookout for a good second hand car.

"Mummy" Kiara appears from the room rubbing her eyes.

"Hi my princess. Had a good nap?" I ask shutting my diary and opening my arms wide for her.

Once she nuzzles her way into my arms. "ummh" she nods.

"Do you want to eat something?" she nods negatively. The girl has lots of energy otherwise but if she has just woken up she can be moody, cranky anything. its totally unpredictable. 

"Can we go to Walmart?" Mummy needs to buy stuff for the house.

"ok. Mummy is Vinceee or Charlie coming?" its quiet surprising that she has managed to make a way into their life and even they too spend their weekends or any other free time with her. All the brothers.

"No princess. They are gone to Italy for some work" Vince has phoned a few days back profusely apologizing for not being able to make it this weekend as they had to go urgently to Italy for some business related work. I won't deny that I will miss their presence. Along with Kiara they have kind off grown on on me. I see Kiara's face and it doesn't look good. I recognize the expression soon. the waterworks will begin and lo.

"Princess please no crying. Why don't we go to the park first and then we go to Walmart and then mummy will make your favorite dinner. deal?" I try consoling her the best I could. the crying stops as she nods her head in positive but the sniffling continues. I carry her to her room and get her dressed so that we can head out. 

Since the park and Walmart were only a few blocks away walking was the best option. So here we are currently walking towards the park with Kiara skipping ahead. A trip to the park always lightens her mood. 

We take a walk around the park when Kiara suddenly decides she wants to feed the ducks.

"Come lets go get some bread then. Come on monkey" I signal her as she is so engrossed looking at an old couple feeding the ducks. 

"Mummy me no monkey. Me princess" she pouts as she places her hand in mine. I pay for the bread and head back to the pond. I tear the bread into pieces and place in her hand to which she throws it into the pond and then clap her hands excitedly at the ducks fighting for the crumbs as they dive down and retrieve it.

it was a task getting Kiara to leave the park but grocery shopping needed to be done. I never had to raise my voice but one stern look used to always do the trick.

Walmart wasn't very crowded, just some occasional shoppers and people from around the area whom you recognize. So as I was shopping an occasional nod or a few words exchanged was what i did as Kiara was placed in the cart so that she doesn't run around. Leaving a kid wild in Walmart was a nightmare I didn't want to face.

"Mummy can we buy bubblegum ice-cream?" she pleads with the puppy eyes.

"Sure. Once mummy is done shopping."

"Ok." She gave an excited bounce.

Buying breakfast cereals, spices, cheese, butter, milk from the dairy section, to fruits and vegetables, and chicken and other requirements I went from Aisle to aisle finally putting in the demanded ice-cream tub in the already full cart, we made our way to the counter for the billing. The cashier scanned all the items and packed them in the bag which I handed him and gave me the bill. I picked the bag and walked out with Kiara holding my hand. I was getting dark since it was already late evening and as I was walking I was getting the eerie feeling of being watched. I turned around to see nothing suspicious. As cops we are trained to detect any suspicious activities. But it all seemed normal A group for teens around the corner, residents of nearby areas and occasional passersby. So I brushed off the feeling and continued walking but the feeling of being watched didn't disappear so I stopped and repeated.

"What's wrong mummy." Came in Kiara's inquisitive question sensing my behavior. 

"Nothing princess." I quickened my pace but the weight of the grocery bag wasn't making it any easier.

Upon entering my apartment after the walk home, I kept the grocery bag down and first thing I did was lock the door. I am not scared for myself but it was Kiara's safety that mattered at this moment. Deciding that I was overthinking it all after sometime. I started placing all the stuff i bought in its places and headed to make dinner after switching on the television for Kiara to keep her busy. I promised her her favorite dinner which was Indian butter chicken and roti which although took sometime to be made wasn't very difficult. I was born and brought up in India so it wasn't difficult for me to fix these dinners.

Once the dinner was ready I fed Kiara so that she doesn't mess herself while simultaneously eating myself too. We sat on the sofa eating as she enjoyed her Disney movie. Dinner was done too soon I moved to put excess food in the refrigerator which was yet another task. Then changing Kiara into her PJs and getting her brush her teeth which was our daily routine i was tucking her into bed getting under the sheets besides her while reading her a bedtime story. 

I didn't realize when I fell asleep but was woken up by the sound of some movement. I quietly walk out of the room trying my best not to make any sound and locate my gun in the drawer outside my room. I look around the entire apartment making sure there aren't any intruders. Keeping the gun back in its place I proceed to the kitchen to drink some water. While drinking water I keep getting a very bad feeling so leaving the half empty glass on the counter I proceed back to the room to get the shock of my life.