Chapter 1

"Please remind me again why am I here."

.......

"Yeah there stop laughing. Hardly few steps into this vast jungle you call college and I have already been hit on by at least five half-witted boys. And their terms of endearment baby doll, babe, darling... ughhh!!! I just hate that I look like a kid"

.....

"laugh at my expense on the other end of the phone. Some girls here seem to have forgotten to update their wardrobe from their childhood."

......

"yeah yeah fashion and all. Two years in this country and I still can't understand teenagers and their outrageous fashion sense."

.....

"Ok, then I'll talk to you later, Need to find the office and collect my schedule"

Cutting the call I just cant seem to drop the smile that's lingering on my face.

"You look cute baby doll"

Mentally scoffing there goes another one. But thinking twice I think I might need this boy's help.

"Hey you can you please tell me the way to the office?"

"You seem new here. Shall I take you to some place better where you and I can have fun?"

"No thank you just the office."

The boy who just made a pathetic excuse at flirting with me just shrug his shoulders. No doubts he looks cute. O God stop they are way out of your league, they're just kids, teenagers or young adults as you call them. You are 25 for heaven sake mentally scolding myself.

"As you wish baby doll. Down the corridor, third door to the left"

"thank you mmmm" what is his name? Did I even ask him?

"Alex" seems like he sensed my hesitation.

"thank you Alex" I give him a genuine smile which he returned back.

"No problem baby doll. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask. I'm a fresher here too so there are chances we might bump again."

"sure" saying so I start walking to the office still sensing his eyes on me..

Behind the desk there seems to be a very sweet lady probably in her late 50s with curly brown hair that seems to be greying quiet fast.

"good morning sweetie welcome to Southwestern University how can I help you?"

"Good morning Mrs. Fredstone" reading her name from the stand. " I'm new here come to collect my schedule."

"of course sweetie. Can I get your name?" She replies with an equally larger smile

"Yes its Adhya Kapur"

"Ok let me see, yes there's an Adhya. Your two weeks late hope you catch up soon. Here's your file, your schedule, locker number, college map, about your lectures and lecturers everything you might require to help you get through is in there"

Taking the file from her hand and thanking her I sat on the chair that was outside the office so that I could go through the file

"let me see Home room, English Literature, Advanced Psychology, Mathematics, Theatre, Italian what the fuck how am I supposed to learn Italian, Waheguru help me!, moving on Gym cool! Ok manageable so far except for Italian didn't they just think while enrolling me. I come from a land of Hindi speaking people how am I supposed to learn Italian? Anyways locker number 325/A. Come on Adhya get your ass up and move, you don't have all morning here." Saying so I get up in search of my locker so that I could keep my stuff in there and search for room 116 which happens to be my homeroom

It feels like I've been loitering around these same corridors in circles. This is a fucking never ending maze which I have to navigate in search of the lockers successfully managing  with some help from passerby students. Throwing my bag in the small compact locker I tied my long untamed hair into a messy bun, God alone knows what came upon me to let it loose today it seems to be flying in all places. I swing my bag on my shoulders and begin walking to homeroom with only five minutes left according to the clock which means I have to move fast. I walk out in a hurry and bump into someone, again. 

"oh Hi again Alex thanks for the help in the morning."

"You've got the wrong person Sweetheart. I'm Adrian, Alex is my twin"

"oh! Sorry"

"no problem many people confuse us. And you must be?"

"Oh Adhya"

"A-Dea" Why can't anyone just pronounce my name well?

"Adhya... never mind. I'm in a hurry can you guide me to room 116"

"I'm off the same way. You can follow me sweetheart"

What's with these teens and their peculiar names I wonder. They still seem foreign to me. I finally make it to the designated room. Thanking Adrian right whatever his name was I enter the room thankful that there isn't any professor yet. 

Settling in an open seat I am greeted by a girl in straight blond hair and overly excessive make up. I mean who wears lipstick, and eyeliner and highlighter and what not unless your going for a party?

"Hi! I am Laura. You are seemingly new here" Someone seems quiet cheery for a Monday morning.

"yup, its that's obvious right. I am Adhya"

"let me see your schedule"

Handing over my schedule to her.

"Oh great, we share many classes together except a few here and there like Italian and Theatre. I've taken French and Music. Why don't you join my group today for lunch?"

"Oh, Ah I don't wanna interfere in your group" how sweet of her to offer me company but I'm here to do work, fulfil my mission and out. I'm done with this college life

"oh no problem, we're always welcome to new people. Btw you Asian?"

"yes Indian to be specific, but moved here a couple years back"

"are you staying in the dorms?"

"No, actually" just then I get interrupted by an announcement and surprisingly there is no professor in sight even though its past the bell time.

"Dear freshers. Hope you have settled well into the campus life. I would like you all to head to the auditorium now since we have out Trustees here to speak to you."

And just like someone has opened the gates to the cattle everyone flocks into the auditorium. I call back on Laura

" Hey why don't you head forward, I'll just go quickly to the washroom and come?"

"sure thing." Saying so we part ways.