Chapter 45

"Burton Turkus, the lead prosecutor in the Murder Inc. cases, expressed thefrustration of trying to solve Mob-ordered slayings and overcoming omertà."There is only one way organized crime can be cracked," he said. "Unlesssomeone on the inside talks, you can investigate forever and get nowhere." 

"What are you reading tesoro?" I looked at Vincenzo and then up the clock to see that it was way past 1: 30, almost nearing 2. I looked at the book title. "Five Families" I replied nonchalantly. 

"Why the sudden interest in Mafia related books?" I kept staring at him as he unbuttoned his shirt after throwing his suit on the Armchair. 

"Oh its Interesting to learn about the Mafia families and Omerta and do you know that Capo de Capos or Godfather exists?" he gave me a one eyebrow raised look.

"I'm just curious" I replied "Curiosity killed the cat Tesoro" he replied getting in the bed now only in his boxers. "Go to sleep, its way late." Vince said removing the book from my hand and placing it on the side table.

"Actually I was up and waiting for you" I replied slightly hesitating. He sat on the bed pulling me on his lap. 

"I mission in a day or two for which I need to go to Manhattan. But I don't know..."

"Hmmm" he just hummed playing with my hair.

"Were you even listening?"

"For how many days?"

"Max. two months" to this I heard a sigh.

"Do you really have to go?

"It's my duty" there was a long pause before he responded "I know love but how will I live without you for two months?"

I turned facing him straddling his lap in the bargain, his breath hitched. oh shit I poked the wrong side. "I'm scared for Kiara. How will she stay without me?

"Kiara still has her father." He said with a matter of fact tone. "You need to stop overthinking and sleep. Or else you'll wake up in the morning exhausted." he said stroking my hair that was actually lulling me to sleep.  

"I love you tesoro" was the last thing I heard before entering dreamland.

...

I was being briefed about the entire case before the flight that I had to catch tomorrow early hours of the morning. After a two hour excruciating meeting, I was allowed to go home to pack and get my shit together and specially spend time with Kiara as I won't be see her for another two months, and trust me that's the most scariest thought as a mother.  

"Adhya, William here will be at the airport tomorrow to hand over all important papers you might require including the key of your stay" saying so Harry dismissed me. 

...

Thinking of my life in the next two months I sat packing. I wanted to pack light to avoid any extra luggage. The makeup bag that I might require is already heavy plus two heels, two sneakers and a trusty pair of chappals, even several sets of lingerie and I was yet to decide on clothes. I sighed hating the process of packing. 

I took the notepad ticking off the things I had already packed and made a run through of what was yet to be packed. The faint sound of Kiara's excited talks notified me of her arrival. Abandoning all the things on the bed as it is I quickly walked down the stairs. Kiara jumped into my arms as soon as she spotted me.

"Hi my princess. How was your day?" I asked giving a long sloppy kiss on her cheek.

"Mumma wait" she said running to where she had left her bag and came back hiding something behind her back. "I have a surprise" Saying so she brought forward an ice-cream stick with a heart pasted on it with words I love you mumma written in her handwriting.
"Ms. Marley taught us to do this. So I made one for you one for papa" she said showing me the other one too. "I love you mumma"
" Mumma loves you very much too" I said blowing raspberries which earned me giggles.