Chapter 8

You better watch outYou better not cryYou better not poutI'm telling you whySanta Claus is coming to town
He's making a list,He's checking it twice,He's gonna find out who's naughty or niceSanta Claus is coming to town

"Milk- Check, Bread- Check, Vegetables fruits-check" going through my list why do I feel I'm missing out something.

"Mommy Mommy I want a doll please"

"Baby no more. You've got way too many" We are currently at Target where the entire store is decorated for Christmas and carols are blaring through the speakers. Kiara was running around picking random stuff from the aisle hence she is now trapped in the shopping cart to her dismay. And here I am doing my grocery shopping while still wrecking my as to what to gift someone who literally has everything. on the other hand it is rude to appear at their doorstep for Christmas without a gift. Not that my budget is great to give them a personalized gift. Ugh! why is this so difficult.

"At least can we get chocolates or cake?" she ask with a pout.

"That's it" I should bake them a cake and maybe some thing else too. I give my daughter a sloppy kiss and glance through the aisles again to get ingredients required.

Being a regular week day before the Christmas break with Christmas eve being tomorrow there surprisingly isn't much crowd at target helping me getting my work done faster. And what is a cop like me doing free at this time of the day is simple I just can't trust anyone with my princess after the stunt she pulled off two days ago. That leaves me either work from home or on  a break until Mrs. Smith is back after the Christmas Break which she decided to spend with her son. Yup we cops don't get holidays so this is me making the best of the time I have free. So here's the plan for today. Target, park, home, bake and movies. Boring probably for you but very exciting for me. I get the things billed with an over excited Kiara who is still very bouncy and head walking home which is just a few blocks away to drop off all the grocery. I can't just walk to the park with these awfully heavy bags. I'm planning to finally buy a second hand car probably after the3 break. it will make things easier for me. plus I've managed to save some amount and I can't keep travelling on the bike or rely on cabs.

"Mommy hurry up I wanna go feed the ducks and play on the swings" When she gets excited she just doesn't have any patience.

"Coming Princess. Let mommy just put all the groceries away. Ok?" I laugh at her excited antics.

"Jaldi karo" (do it fast) Its not surprising at all that she suddenly switches to few words here and there to Hindi after all that's our roots. and we speak quiet often in the language. study says this is the best age to teach them languages as they tend to pick up quiet fast so I make sure to speak to her in English as well as Hindi.

"Ok but first let's get a little of something in that tummy of yours." Its lunch time after all.

"No Mommy. let's go"

"No eating. No going. Simple."

She reluctantly agrees to some sandwiches which although not really approved by me I had to give in and probably I'll carry some along with some juice.

...

"Ok Come on now hold mommy's hand and no running. We are on the road." There is this constant need to instruct her for her safety. We finally arrive the park where a few people are strolling. Children just finished school playing. Its winter so the small ones look so damn cute all bundled up. Kiara runs to the slide first. Climbing up the ladder and then sliding through the tunnel. I stand at the opening of the tunnel to check on her the first few times and then go sit on the bench nearby from where I can see her.

While sitting there I glance through messages from Will and Kasie giving me updates of the cases and any fresh gossip mainly from Kassie. Then there is a message from Vincenzo giving me details f what time the driver will pick me up for dinner tomorrow and also insisting to stay the Christmas day with them. Although I have refused politely many times before. I look up to see Kiara headed to the swings . The kid's ones were lower and much safer so I didn't bother to get up and go rather just sat and watched her. She seems to be growing so fast. I am just happy I decided to move away if not for me than at least it did her good. At those thoughts my phone rings and I groan seeing the caller.

"Satsriakal maa" (Hello mother)

......

"Jee dasso kaise yaad kiya?" (how come you remembered me today?)

....

"Chachaji ke ladke ko Videsh ana hai toh main ki karun?" (What do I do if my cousin want to come abroad?) I got really irritated after her attempt at convincing me to take him abroad and help him settle and give him a place to stay.

My mother calls me after all these years being extra sweet only to get a favors in return. She has no clue how I survived. What are my living conditions and that I even have a daughter. To my parents I was just that extra burden who costed them way lot in terms of dowry. They just got me married to an MLA's son like a business exchange to get him a seat in the government.  I used to get really jealous when I saw fathers pampering their daughters but what I got was a power hungry father who was a sarpanch and only loved his sons dearly. I wipe off the angry tears to look up and see Kiara isn't in the swings anymore but standing infront of a man crouched infront of her her whose face I couldn't see. My motherly instincts soon kick in and I rush to her side only to see Charlie crouched infront of her and she squealing and animatedly talking to him.

"Oh Hey Charlie. Nice seeing you here?" It came off more like a question. as I greeted him gaining his attention.

"Oh hi. Sorry I was just passing by when I saw Kiara on the swings and really couldn't stop myself from coming here." He tries explaining kind off awkwardly.

"Its no problem at all." Ok I don't really see them as harm towards my daughter although they look scary. I mean its kind off a vibe that you get. I really don't know but its very comforting. He doesn't leave soon for someone who was just passing by but I brush it off seeing such a big guy running behind Kiara and playing with her and her giggling. It just brings a smile on my face. Finally when it seems to get late I mean almost two to three hours since we are here I say our goodbyes and head home.