Chapter 48

"Please save my Caleb" were the last words of the girl I accidently killed. I just killed oh no no no this can't be. She was their killing machine. She would've led me to them. I look at my knuckles all bloody and wipe the blood dried up below my nose. I pat her pockets to see if I could find anything- just a phone and a purse. Her phone didn't have any lock so I walked a little distance away and go through it. The last message from someone named boss reads 'Kill her or you loose your little life' There are a lot of car games on her phone on opening the gallery pictures a small boy seem to flood her gallery. I put all this in my pocket to take it to Jaxon to get it inspected further. I send a message to him that I'm coming now with info. The short journey walking brings immense pain to my abdominal area. I lift up my shirt to see a blue black patch forming and suddenly like gears rotate in my head. It seems like my entire surroundings have gone blur.

"Excuse me ma'am are you alright? Ma'am do you need help?" Those were the words that brought me out of my stupor. That's when I realize I'm kneeling on the floor cheeks with dried up tears and soon after the sound of the other phone ringing. I excused myself from the confused stranger and walked my way. After putting a small distance between the stranger and myself I picked up the phone that rang yet another time flashing boss.

"Tsk, your killing machine wasn't good enough. Probably next time consider hiring me" I mocked the caller.

"Venus, Oh how I longed to hear your voice" I gaged at the sickly sweet voice "You have a deal come meet me tomorrow at Prague" Soon as those words were said the line went beep indicating he cut the call. 

Hardly had I kept aside the call I went into panic mode and booked  a cab. Second task was letting Jaxon know what to do next. That was done within minutes through a text and my cab too arrived.

"Where to?" asked the lean looking cab driver

"Nearest hospital" Throughout the journey I had my fingers crossed, praying silently for my unanswered prayers.

"We're here" It was hardly a 10 minute drive. I paid the cab driver and walked to the hospital help desk.

The one seated must've seen my busted lip and directed me to urgent care.

"Youngsters and their constant need to fight" I heard her commenting. 

Seated outside the UC, I blankly stared at the patients in and out not knowing what to do or probably overthinking. Until my name or rather the disguise name was called.

"Ms. Gia, this way" I sat on the examination bed as the nurse cleaned all visible blood.

"Are you hurt anywhere else" that when my panic actually dawned.

"I tested positive on pregnancy kit today morning and I got punched on my abdomen" I felt my cheeks wet and saw her eyes widen at realization. Without wasting a second longer she picked up the receiver. 

"Send in Dr. Pete"

"My child will be ok right?" I asked trying to keep some hope.

"Ms. Gia it wasn't a confirmed pregnancy. Let's get it checked first. Alright?" she tried assuring me. "Do you wanna call someone- like husband or boyfriend or any family member" I shook my head negative trying to be strong while silently praying the morning test following my missed periods to be a false positive. 

Its not that I don't want to be a mother again, its just that this isn't the right time. Not when I'm in between of a dangerous mission that involves constant fights. I saw the ultra sound being wheeled in by another nurse and a doctor following.

I could see everything around me like the ultrasound machine being set up, and then the test, but at this moment everything felt heavy to comprehend. 

"Ms. Gia you were not pregnant. It was just a false alarm" I sighed in relief on listening to these few words. We hadn't used protection so for the past week when I didn't get my periods, I assumed I was pregnant and took a test. This was definitely not the right time.

I did the necessary payments and walked out with a band aid on my forehead for where I was bleeding a bit due to the bang.

...

...

...

I entered my van and plopped down on the the sofa cum bed. Put my hand beneath it and fished out the phone. The same phone Vince gave me before I left. I typed in his number and cancelled, did it again. I had no idea what to talk about this whole thing. Will it blow my cover if I yearn for someone besides me. I want to scream and cry, but who was there to wipe my tears. The situation was overwhelming, not the fight and gangs, but the entire idea of being pregnant and probably losing the child. I would never wish that to come over any mother. My finger hovered over the call button, rethinking and rethinking- I finally called "What am I doing?" and immediately cut the call. It was late night. They were probably half- asleep. But minutes later that phone rang and it was Vince. 

"Tesoro, you're fine right?"

His voice was enough to trigger my tears.

"Love your scaring me, what happened? Should I come there?" the concern in his voice and shuffling of feet. i could hear it all.

"I'm fine" I sniffled. It was just his voice that makes me not want to be strong any longer.

"No your not, something happened. Are you hurt?" I could hear the restraint in his voice.

"Only little... I thought I was pregnant today. I thought I lost my baby

The silence on the other end was deafening. Until a heard a faint "Steph wake up, tell Peter to get my jet ready asap. I'm heading to Manhattan."

"No you are not coming here." I panicked  "Vince I panicked, I needed to hear your voice, but please don't come here. I'm so close to finishing the case."

"Your case doesn't matter to me. You are more important now" I can hear the anger in his voice.

"I love you!" I know what I'm doing. I'm trying to dissipate his anger. "I promise I'll be there near you soon.

"What about the baby?" I heard him whisper

"It was false alert. I was late on my periods, so took a test that came positive. But I wasn't. I wasn't pregnant, I wouldn't ever be able to forgive myself."

"Please leave that job. I can't fathom ever loosing you. I'll help you in that case. Tell me what you need

I though briefly before replying knowing what and how much he is capable of. 

"I need you to support my choices now and trust in me" I said dejected

"Always" came the reply.