1 | Ten Minutes

A very irritating noise buzzed through, jolting me out of my sleep

A very irritating noise buzzed through, jolting me out of my sleep. I turned off my alarm clock as I sat up in bed running my hand through my long black hair. I grabbed my glasses, put them on, and got out of bed. 5:30 the clock said. Opening up my front door and grabbing the newspaper I walked in setting it down on my dining table.

I sighed as I took out some juice from the fridge so it wouldn't freeze when I had it. I walked around the kitchen counter and back to my bedroom as I grabbed my phone to see a message from Violet. Violet was my younger sibling, my heart and soul and the one who I have been working very hard for. She was the youngest in the family hence the spoiled brat, but I loved her very much. We all did. I smiled to see a selfie from her recent lab where she was wearing her lab coat.

I smiled, sending her a quick reply. I then walked in to brush my teeth and get ready for the day. Brushing my teeth I took this opportunity to look at myself in the mirror. The same person stared back. The same girl who had come to New York in hopes of helping her family, in hopes of landing the perfect job after completing her graduation.

I had accomplished all those things and I won't complain about any of those. After completing my graduation from Boston University I had landed the perfect job at Knight and Co. one of the leading companies in the USA, or even the world I would say.

I still remember the day I went for the interview.

I stumbled out of my small rented apartment being careful about everything. I had brought in my bag, phone, keys and most importantly my CV. I walked down the stairs skipping easily in my ballerinas. Today was a big day. I had recently graduated from Boston University and I was the valedictorian at my college.

I walked across the street and memorized the way to the company, and I made sure that I had enough time to reach early. I hated being late. I believed that people who did not respect time did not respect others.

My parents had been immensely proud of me for being so exceptional. They had done everything in them to make sure that I had received the best education from the best college. I came from a middle-class family. My dad, George Kingston was a Software Engineer who had started his own small business in London. And my mom was a housewife.

Dad had decided to give up his job and start his own business. In the beginning, it was a little difficult. We had to sacrifice and make some arrangements here and there to support ourselves, but now we were doing pretty fine. I really respected him for sending me to one of the best colleges in England and then sending me abroad for studies. Mom was someone who has seen the most hardships she had to make sure to manage everything and keep everything on a budget.

Though they didn't tell us about it. I knew we were facing a financial crisis. And that's when I decided that I would be going away to Uni and doing my best so that I could earn enough not only to help my parents cater to their needs but also to help them pay off all the loans and fund my sister's education.