∆ғᴏʀᴛʏ-sᴇᴠᴇɴ∆

“Let’s go,” Daniel grabbed my arm. “Vex is going to go nuts.”

“But-”

“They’ll be fine,” Caesar said, pulling me behind him. “We need to worry about ourselves.”

“Now!” Vex yelled, making Joseph shove me out of the door, slamming it behind him.

“While they’re busy doing that, we need to get out of here. We need to get Speedwagon,” Joseph said, as we began down the hall.

“There’s a phone booth a block away,” Daniel said. “We could be there in a few minutes.”

“Let’s hurry then,” I said.

“Well, maybe not,” Daniel huffed. “Company, three down the hall.”

“Got ‘em,” Caesar and Joseph said in unison. They glanced at each other before grinning.

“Come on, they’ll catch up. They aren’t going to be too much trouble,” Daniel said, grabbing my hand as Caesar and Joseph ran down the hall, and Daniel and I darted towards the stairs.

“Do you really think this’ll work?” I asked, my voice echoing through the stairwell.

“No clue, but let’s hope it does,” My brother replied. “Vex said they’re gonna kill Aaron, and they haven’t spoken against their word yet.”

“They better not now,” I mumbled.

“Took you guys long enough!” I looked up in surprise, seeing Joseph and Caesar standing near the door.

“How the hell-”

“Back staircase,” I laughed, cutting my brother off in his confusion. “Leads straight here.”

“Cheaters,” Daniel grumbled.

“Shortcuts, not cheating,” Joseph said, shaking his head as he tried the door. “What? It’s bolted!”

“Move,” I shooed him away, reaching out to grab the metal bar. Copper-colored sparks trailed along the surface of the door before something clattered on the outside. I stepped back and kicked the lock, watching the door swing open with a loud bang.

“That was cool,” Daniel grinned.

“I know,” I replied, making Caesar and Joseph laugh.

At the sound of glass shattering, and it smashing against the ground a few feet in front of us, Daniel, Joseph, Caesar and I ran out the door to look upwards. A set of dark curtains fluttered out of the open window before I saw a figure drop out of it.

“Is that…?” Joseph whispered, squinting his eyes.

“Vex!” Daniel called.

“No, wait-!” Before I could grab my younger brother, he was already running forward in a blur. He must have found leverage and jumped, catching Vex mid-air. We ran towards them as he laid Vex out on the ground.

“Easy, easy!” He scolded.

“Fuck off!” They yelled, shoving his hands away. They winced as they sat up, removing their blood-stained hand from their stomach before spitting off to the side. “Fuckin’ wanker.”

“Are you alright?” I asked, extending my hand. Vex glared at me before taking it, allowing me to help them to their feet.

“Yeah,” They said, fixing their torn shirt. Through the tear, I could see their flesh healing on its own. “He’s quick, that’s for sure.”

“Where is he?” Caesar asked.

Vex spat the remaining blood to the side before wiping a thumb over their bottom lip, collecting the crimson liquid. “Don’t know. Ran off once he saw Daniel pop up.”